Reasons against using DOMES

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i see a lot of people saying don't use domes, use turrets instead.

reasons being:

IR reflection causing glare and flashback on the camera at night.
IR causing insect problems at night (turrets have the IR is off-set while with domes it illuminates the whole dome
When located outside inline to natural light (sunlight) UV degradation of the dome itself causing it to become opaque (cloudy)
When availed to the elements (rain snow) domes can develop water spots and streaking

Is there anything else I'm missing?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are the main points.

The IR Glare and Flashback only occurs though when the seal around the lens is not properly set and can occur regardless of inside/outside mounting.
UV Degradation only normally occurs when the camera is a cheaper camera. The majority of your higher end cameras do not experience this prior to 5 years.

Domes CAN be used outside very successfully. However, Turrets do give a more even IR coverage/cast which is why I prefer them. I've used domes and still do outside very successfully. The main point is just assure they are not exposed directly to the elements. Simply being under a 18" overhang is enough protection to assure they do not experience the majority of issues you cite.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback Zero, im just listing what i have read over the last few weeks when someone has brought up Using a dome and am trying to make sure im not missing any reasons to avoid them. Im looking at a location to use Domes do to some of the factors on placement..

They will not have the IR active. The area 16'x32' is illuminated with (4) 250watt lights 1 placed in each corner (though they are getting converted over to LED here soon)
They will be placed up under a eave and behind a archway preventing any direct sunlight hitting them.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
One other factor that you don't have much control over if it develops is condensation on the inside of the dome. You can put dry packs in there and all but ime, once a dome develops the problem it never corrects. Be very careful to install the dome on a low humidity day and I would strongly suggest that once it's installed, avoid ever opening it thereafter. If you can get one with an anti fog feature of sorts, not a bad idea.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
One other factor that you don't have much control over if it develops is condensation on the inside of the dome. You can put dry packs in there and all but ime, once a dome develops the problem it never corrects. Be very careful to install the dome on a low humidity day and I would strongly suggest that once it's installed, avoid ever opening it thereafter. If you can get one with an anti fog feature of sorts, not a bad idea.
Personally, in the midwest I've never once had a problem with condensation. Quality domes come with dry packs pre installed as an extra layer or protection, but again personally i've never had condensation develop and these cameras get opened from time to time for flash card pulls or changes, or lens readjustments. I've also installed domes during all types of weather (summer, winter, rainy days, hot humid days) and still no problems. Not saying your wrong, just don't believe this to be a common problem at all.