Reboot PC when no internet connection?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, so this is the section I ended up choosing.

Yesterday I had an issue. I was home in the morning and my step-dad showed up and I didn't even know because I didn't get any notifications. I used remote desktop to log into my Blue Iris PC, which worked fine, and noticed the computer had no internet connection. A simple reboot of the computer fixed my issue, but I'm about to be away from home for a couple of months and if the internet does this again, obviously I won't be able to connect to it to reboot it. My setup, while not relevant to my question but maybe relevant to my issue? is this.

Starlink router to their stupid ethernet adapter, then a cable from the adapter to my switch. Obviously the switch has all of the camera's running to it, as well as a cable out to my NVR, and 2 cables to my dual NIC PC. The internet was working fine on my main pc that is just connected via wifi, and it was working to my NVR.

Since this could obviously become an issue while I'm gone, and there's a lot of smart people here, I thought I'd see if there's a way to have the computer check for an internet connection, lets say every 10 minutes, and automatically reboot if no connection has been found within 30 minutes or so. I guess this could cause kind of a reboot loop with a prolonged internet outage, but if it's possible it's the best thing I can come up with to maybe not have this issue again? Unless anyone else has a better idea/solution?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I did see that in my search but wasn't sure if it would work the same with Windows 10, and wondered if there were more options now since that was posted 8 years ago. I can try it out.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have my BI PC on a smart switch. So if I'm not at home, and BI is not working, I can cycle power on the PC. You're really not supposed to just turn off power like that to a PC, but I don't do it very often, only when I need to fix my PC and I'm away for an extended time.
Having a smart switch lets you decide if you need to reboot, and it doesn't just have to be based on having a internet connection to the PC.

Randy

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Randy. That is the kind of suggestions that prompted me to post this questions.

But it looks like I have some other problem. I had a package delivered today and never got any alerts, and when I got home I never received any alerts. I was able to use the blue iris app on my phone and connect and see live view, so I knew the computer had a connection, so I went and sat down at it and saw in the timeline the markers for movement, the camera's picked it up but never alerted. Then I checked and the computer was saying no internet access. Just reached down and clicked the edge icon and it wouldn't work either, but like I say, Blue Iris was able to allow me an incoming connection, but windows thinking there was no internet prevented it from sending an alert?

I found a site with some registry edits for activednsprobe that I changed, guess I'll see if that helps.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
What DNS are you using? Almost sounds like a DNS issue

Switch to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or your proffered DNS and see what happens