Reccomend me a NVR

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going to be doing an install for a friend who's had enough of the rubbish ones he has currently.

Initially we are going for a 4 camera system either the 2mp 5231R-ZE or the 4mp 5442TM-AS

The camera side I'm fine with but I would like reccomendations on the best NVR for the job.

As I've used BI for a good while now I'm out of the loop with the newer NVR's.

BI is not an option in this system so a decent NVR is needed.

Now there may potentially be a couple more cameras added in the future so the NVR with need to be at least 8CH with enough bandwidth available to run the cameras at the full resolution.

PoE will be used to run the cameras but I know a few years back with the Hikvision NVR's that it was a better choice to use a PoE switch rather than on-board the NVR.

I don't know if that is still the case as on-board PoE in this instance would probably suit better.

So reccomendations as to a good NVR for the job would be appreciated.

As always @EMPIRETECANDY Will be the port of call for the order.

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am happy using the nvr5208-8p-4ks2 that I purchased from Andy. I have a full Blue Iris system setup for the house but I needed something for our farm (barns, etc.) and did not have internet access. I emailed Andy for his recommendations and he suggested that. I put in a 6tb purple and it is running 4 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP's.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am happy using the nvr5208-8p-4ks2 that I purchased from Andy. I have a full Blue Iris system setup for the house but I needed something for our farm (barns, etc.) and did not have internet access. I emailed Andy for his recommendations and he suggested that. I put in a 6tb purple and it is running 4 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP's.
Thanks for that I'll have a look at that particular model

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I like this one. DS-7608NI-I2

However I am going to buy this one if a few months as an upgrade due to the larger storage capacity. The more 4mp and 8mp cameras that I add, the more storage I need. :)

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like this one. DS-7608NI-I2

However I am going to buy this one if a few months as an upgrade due to the larger storage capacity. The more 4mp and 8mp cameras that I add, the more storage I need. :)

I have a hikvision nvr myself although this needs to be strictly a brand match system
So I need a dahua machine

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Watch the total bit rate that the NVR can handle versus the total bit rate of your cameras. There's more to NVR capacity than ports and drive size.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Watch the total bit rate that the NVR can handle versus the total bit rate of your cameras. There's more to NVR capacity than ports and drive size.
That's ome thing I have been looking at.
It seems like most of the more recent nvr support up to 320Mbps

Which should be plenty for 4 cameras st either 2mp or 4mp

But I may be missing something as its s while since I dealt with nvrs as I use BI myself now

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 5208

Unless you want the more advanced AI, then step up to the Pro AI series. For most I don’t think the added cost is worth it.

The built-in PoE works just fine and is incredibly simple to setup.
Thanks pal.
In this use case there certainly isn't the need for the more advanced AI features of the pro series

If it was for me personally then I would argue there was.
But as it is for a friend who simply wants a plug and play solution that has accessible playback and mobile app access the former is more than enough.

I'll look into this particular model and get pricing from Andy.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Four cameras now, but in the future.....
I agree and as above if it was for me personally I would certainly be doing a pot more close scrutiny of the bandwidth numbers.

But as it's for a friend of mine and the initial 5 cameras is plenty.
Theres scope for a couple more cameras should they be needed but certainly no more, so in this case bandwidth should be easily within limits.

Bear in mind that the system also has to be cost effective.
It's a case of get what is required now with a little head room as opposed to never buy anything because you always want more.