Recommend me a Dahua please

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you go the NVR route, the POE ports of the NVR will support the PTZ and cameras. They do not need another power supply.

Go with a Dahua NVR in the 5XXX series.

The varifocal is small adjustments and does not correspond to mm focal lengths.

The 5442 series has facial recognition.....but....most of us have found in home settings that facial recognition is more gimmicky and novelty than anything else. If you have to put in 5 or 10 or 15 pictures of yourself in the NVR for it to recognize it is you...then you shouldn't expect much....

That video you show is testing under ideal conditions - enough light and person is walking straight towards a camera that is head level or a little below.

Heck even in ideal situations like a business with the camera at ideal height and optimal lighting it fails....

akuma69

n3wb
Reaction score
If you go the NVR route, the POE ports of the NVR will support the PTZ and cameras. They do not need another power supply.

Go with a Dahua NVR in the 5XXX series.

The varifocal is small adjustments and does not correspond to mm focal lengths.

The 5442 series has facial recognition.....but....most of us have found in home settings that facial recognition is more gimmicky and novelty than anything else. If you have to put in 5 or 10 or 15 pictures of yourself in the NVR for it to recognize it is you...then you shouldn't expect much....

That video you show is testing under ideal conditions - enough light and person is walking straight towards a camera that is head level or a little below.

Heck even in ideal situations like a business with the camera at ideal height and optimal lighting it fails....

1. the entrance cams (mount at door) will be about 2.1 meters high from ground. Is that too high for facial recognition (FR)?

2. is that a good FR NVR?

3. can the NVR pick up faces which I can just label as say "tom". and then everytime tom comes, generate a email notification. Can NVR do this without the need to manual upload 15 Tom images?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That will work, I'm just trying to manage your expectations that facial recognition isn't like you see in the movies and on TV...it is more novelty and gimmicky at this price point unless you are in a situation where you can force a person to stop and look straight into the camera...or you spend ridiculous amounts of money for systems like at the airport..

Yes you can let the NVR just load up pictures as they happen, but after about the 15th time of having to label a picture as Tom, most just give up on that feature.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Loryta and Empiretech are Dahua OEM sold by Andy. Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you by from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it.

akuma69

n3wb
Reaction score
hmm that makes me think. Why would Dahua only give better firmwares to just Andy and not apply it to their whole customer base? Why would they favour Andy's customers over their own?

My guess is that those better firmwares are not from Dahua themselves, but another third part developer who has access to firmware source code. So they make the changes Andy wants, and hence the developer does it and its only for Andy's customers. Is this correct?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope....You are mistaken as to what you are purchasing and who the intended market is that Dahua caters to...

Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and Dahua support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that!

These professional installers are hired by companies to install the cameras. They are then not going to go around and install updates every time Dahua issues an update as they are not being paid for that. If their client asks them to update and they are willing to pay the installer to update the cameras, then it happens. But in most instances, once the cameras are installed, they are never updated. And a general rule here too is do not fix what ain't broke and we only install updates if it fixes a known problem we are experiencing. If a business has perfectly fine working cameras, why would they even bother to consider a firmware update and risk the system going down?

And of late, Dahua even quit putting firmware out on their website because too many people are purchasing Chinese hacked cameras or fake Dahua cams and then bricking them when they try to update the firmware. That isn't the case with Andy's cameras.

We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. Dahua and Hik cater to the professional installers...and they would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions or need support...

Read any of these firmware or camera threads, including this most recent one where Andy received and was selling the new Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor before Dahua even sold it. As you will read in this thread, a member here @Wildcat_1 was instrumental in working with the Dahua engineers (not some 3rd party developer) to better the firmware for this camera, and he has done so for the 5442 series cameras and others that Andy sells. Andy takes our comments and reports them back to Dahua and they make the changes if appropriate. Sometimes they show up in Dahua future firmware and sometimes they don't. Sometimes we are the beta testers if you chose to take part in it and if Dahua decides not to roll it out to their customers after we have tested it, that is their business decision.

And Dahua (and Hikvision) bring @EMPIRETECANDY to their offices because Andy is the man:

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
hmm that makes me think. Why would Dahua only give better firmwares to just Andy and not apply it to their whole customer base? Why would they favour Andy's customers over their own?

My guess is that those better firmwares are not from Dahua themselves, but another third part developer who has access to firmware source code. So they make the changes Andy wants, and hence the developer does it and its only for Andy's customers. Is this correct?
not dahua give me better firmware but bugs report from members here. De-bug is a very boring work and cost lot of time and work on it, but no good choice, because we have higher level/standard for cams we sell here.Maybe can think we are a company who sell own cam systems , just produce by dahua.

Azman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mate, if you are planning to install these cameras in a residential rental property in Australia that you will lease out and then monitor who comes and goes you are asking for a world of hurt.

In Australia, once you lease that property you have no rights to that property until the lease expires or the tenants breach the lease. Further, your tenants will then be able to sue you for nuisance and possibly trespass if they believe their peaceful enjoyment of the property has been impeached.

I would suggest you do some research and get some legal advice as to what rights you have as a landlord first before you go all guns blazing with these cameras.

Also, another thing, if you think you can add a clause into the lease that you have a right to install and monitor the cameras, then think again. You can't add a clause into a contract that is illegal.........it will not be enforceable and the tenants may be able to sue you under the contract (lease) if you try to enforce the "illegal" clause.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Aaron

akuma69

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj, so you mean dahua cameras bought from andy are better due to better firmware and support?

the camera and NVR internals are fully dahua engineered yea?

@Azman it is not for property that will be leased out. It's a share house (plus family living in another flat) where me the landlord still has full rights over whole property. And the cameras will only be installed around the outside of the house. People in the share house have said they dont mind cameras, they actually prefer it due to security. They are all already notified. Thanks for the concern though. I appreciate it.

akuma69

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj so instead of relying on facial recognition, its better to just get SMD that just does human detection. NVR would be cheaper. Which 8 camera one you recommend?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If Budget limited can use the IPC-T3241T-ZAS
Good can use IPC-T5442TM-AS or IPC-T5442T-ZE
NVR use a NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 if just for recoriding, for good smart function, use NVR5208-8P-4KS2E.

We will have a big promotion next week, can catch the chance and get some good cams, save money!