Recommendations for a new NVR/NVR Solution (All Hikvision Cameras)

Reaction score
I have 32 Hikvision Cameras right now and I am planning to upgrade to about 48 in the next month. Currently I have a really jank setup with 2 DS-7616NI-Q2/16P, no data redundancy the app almost never works and the cameras disconnect frequently. I wanted to upgrade to something more reliable and also use some proper networking hardware like a Netgear POE+ switch to make my rack more useable and not a rats nest of wires. Any suggestions? I like to run my cameras at the max settings, so all my cameras run at 1920x1080 at 30fps. I was looking into blue iris but I need input on that if that would be suitable for me. I also looked into Digifort and Milestone and they have per camera 5 year licences. I am not willing to pay 9k+ on just video camera licensing.

Edit: None of the smart features work on my Hikvision NVR for some reason. The only thing that works is PTZ control for my cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and has a trial, so give it a try and see if it works for you. It has capability up to I believe 64 cameras.

You will need a powerful computer processing all cams at max settings....even with all of the optimizations available.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing shows if you try to run these cameras at 30fps and high bitrates that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable.

Do keep in mind that movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I don't think we need 30FPS for our phones, tablet, and monitors at home LOL. 15FPS for surveillance is fine.

Give the Blue Iris a trial run and tell us what you think!

Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and has a trial, so give it a try and see if it works for you. It has capability up to I believe 64 cameras.

You will need a powerful computer processing all cams at max settings....

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing shows if you try to run these cameras at 30fps and high bitrates that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable.

Do keep in mind that movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I don't think we need 30FPS for our phones, tablet, and monitors at home LOL. 15FPS for surveillance is fine.

Give the Blue Iris a trial run and tell us what you think!
I have been using my current setup for 2 years so I know the cameras are fine running maxed out. As for blue iris I do not have a system powerful enough to run it on. I am looking to get a 10700k system for this will that be adequate?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a laptop or some other computer you could feed one camera to it just for testing to see if you like Blue Iris? You can feed the NVR into Blue Iris by typing the IP address into where the camera IP address goes and then about halfway down is Cameras and you just select a camera number to bring in.

I will let someone else with that computer give you an indication if that would be adequate.

Reaction score
Do you have a laptop or some other computer you could feed one camera to it just for testing to see if you like Blue Iris? You can feed the NVR into Blue Iris by typing the IP address into where the camera IP address goes and then about halfway down is Cameras and you just select a camera number to bring in.

I will let someone else with that computer give you an indication if that would be adequate.
Will hardware acceleration help? Maybe a m2000 or a p4000