Recommendations for new PC to run Blue Iris and 4x 2MP cameras?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently use an old desktop to run Blue Iris, an old Asus P5K-E with an Intel Q6600 processor. Yes it's like 12 years old, but It's able to handle the 4 cams ~30% CPU usage (2MP each cam with reduce bitrate, only 1 is constant recording the rest on motion).

This server PC is also a NAS and a Plex media server so it's showing its age. I need to replace it and want to buy something like an Optiplex or whatever (pre-built, I don't have time to do a custom build).

Any recommendations on what to get? Do I need to care about the GPU at all? I have HDDs etc. so just needs the hardware. Thanks!

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The manufacturers web sites in the spec sheets for each.
A SFF dell optiplex has room for only 1 SSD and 1 HDD.
The HP SFF Elite and Pro Desk's have room for 1-2 SSd's, and two HDD.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay thanks. Sounds like I need a minitower. I need at least 1x 3.5", and 1-2x 2.5".

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue IRis should be the ONLY thing running on a PC, no plex or anything else...if you want problem free operation.
Yea I understand that's the recommendation of this sub, and I understand why. I don't disagree with it.

But I've been running everything on 1 server for many years now (7? I don't even remember) and I've never had an issue, so I don't plan on separating it until I do because it's cheaper for me. Power is very expensive here in Canada, and I only use Plex once or twice a month.

Hackedup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea I understand that's the recommendation of this sub, and I understand why. I don't disagree with it.

But I've been running everything on 1 server for many years now (7? I don't even remember) and I've never had an issue, so I don't plan on separating it until I do because it's cheaper for me. Power is very expensive here in Canada, and I only use Plex once or twice a month.
everything in Canada is expensive