Record X seconds before motion and Y seconds after...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still having difficulty getting the "Pre-Trigger" to work. I have it set to 10 seconds with an I-Frame of 1 second. What is strange is I would think there would be disk activity if the pre-trigger was active since it needs to clip ahead of the trigger, but I don't see anything.

There has to be something I am missing or did in the wrong order. Love the software just need a wee bit of help :)

Here's what I did:
* After configuring the IP Address I let BI autodetect the camera. That worked and it found created it as Generic/ONVIF

View attachment 69904

* Configured camera UI and adjusted bitrate and I-Frame and confirm it shows up in the "General Tile" for BI:

View attachment 69905

* Configured the recording to pre-trigger and break time to be 10 secs:

View attachment 69906
Don't use "Cut video when triggered with break time" on the record tab.
The break time is on the trigger tab at the bottom.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also once you get this figured out, keep in mind that setting the i-frame interval equal to the frame rate is really mostly for making Blue Iris behave more predictably in terms of timing the recording start. Every i-frame in your stream hurts the compression ratio so there's good reason to use an i-frame interval that is higher (myself I usually set it between 2x and 4x the frame rate).
What criteria do you use to determine which iframe rate that you will use?

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Success!! Thank you for helping me.
The software is awesome - the docs are great, but man is this thing a Swiss army knife. :cool:

I deleted the camera and started over - I even did a reset on the cam - probably not needed, but what the heck.

Here are my settings:
IFrame Interval set to 30 - which I assume will give me about an I-Frame every 3secs if I read this correctly
Set the pre-trigger to 15sec (3 - I-Frames) on the Record Tile
Set the break time to 15sec on the Trigger Tile.
Made sure Cut Video ... is not selected.

CameraSettings.png

GeneralTile.png

RecordingTile.png

TriggerTile.png

Reaction score
Success!! Thank you for helping me.
The software is awesome - the docs are great, but man is this thing a Swiss army knife. :cool:

I deleted the camera and started over - I even did a reset on the cam - probably not needed, but what the heck.

Here are my settings:
IFrame Interval set to 30 - which I assume will give me about an I-Frame every 3secs if I read this correctly
Set the pre-trigger to 15sec (3 - I-Frames) on the Record Tile
Set the break time to 15sec on the Trigger Tile.
Made sure Cut Video ... is not selected.

View attachment 69925

View attachment 69926

View attachment 69927

View attachment 69928
Thank you! Newbie here too and wanted the same thing because my camera view is the street in front of my house and I would always get clips of the car in the middle of the frame. Nice to see the complete motion of the car entering and then leaving the frame. I didn't go into my Amcrest camera settings to mess with the i-frame interval, just the two tabs in BI for Trigger and Record and 15s in those 2 places you indicated (and unchecking the cut in the Record tab. Anyhow thank you for going through this and sharing what you did. Saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out the same thing!