Recording clips to NAS

finity

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been using BI for years and using my PC for all of the clips and recordings and I've had no issues with that.

I just recently bought a NAS (Terra Master Model F2-210) for the purpose of storing my clips in a hidden location away from my main PC (which of course would be a prime target of a thief).

The problem is that in Blue Iris I don't have the NAS location as an available path for the clips in the "storage" tab.

The NAS is visible on my PC that runs BI and I can write to and read from the drive on the PC.

And I have another network device (a Raspberry Pi running Open Media Vault) that shows up as an option to send files. I'd rather not send them there since the Pi basically sits right beside my PC so it's just as much of a potential target as the PC.

I guess my question is why wouldn't the NAS show up in BI as a storage path? and is there something I can check or any settings I need to change in BI to get it to show up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess my question is why wouldn't the NAS show up in BI as a storage path? and is there something I can check or any settings I need to change in BI to get it to show up?
Found in BI's built-in "Help":

From "Administration" => "Running as a Service" => "Service Considerations":

If you are using a NAS or other remote storage device, you should use a username and password on that device that is identical to your service login. This will allow the service seamless access to the device.

From "FAQ" :

Why aren’t my files being moved to Stored and the New folder is overflowing?
Most likely, you are running as a service, but under the Local Service user, and that user has insufficient rights. Please see the related topic at the beginning of this chapter. Also, you may need to use a UNC name (like \\server\share) for your NAS rather than a drive letter.

Reaction score
Starting with @TonyR 's fundamental question: are you running BI as a service?

if not... and apologies if I am not understanding your question. You have the NAS drive mounted (mapped) but it does not show up in 1, 2, or 3?... Or am I
completely confused?:

1693529080943.png

finity

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to all for not replying here sooner and I appreciate the help but I eventually solved it with some help on the BI forum...

interestingly all I needed to do was just manually type the NAS address into the storage location box (#1 in the above screenshot). After I did that everything worked as expected.

I still don't know why the option didn't show up in the drop down just as all the other network locations did, tho.

If I clicked the three dots to the right of #1 my NAS never showed up in that drop down list even tho my Open Media Vault server (different IP address from the BI machine) showed up in the list. very strange.

But like I said it's working now so thanks again for your assistance even tho it wasn't needed in the end.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
interestingly all I needed to do was just manually type the NAS address into the storage location box (#1 in the above screenshot). After I did that everything worked as expected.

If I clicked the three dots to the right of #1 my NAS never showed up in that drop down list even tho my Open Media Vault server (different IP address from the BI machine) showed up in the list. very strange.
Good info, thanks for the feedback. :cool: