recording JUST substream?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My current setup has 18 cameras recording 24/7, at 4k resolution.

Needless to say, this is a lot of disk space -- which isn't a problem locally-- but I'm also mirroring some of the most recent video to online cloud storage. But it's still a ton of files, to the point where the cloud app is constantly copying over blue iris files.

What I'd like to do is set up alternatives to each of my cameras, which only pulls the substream, saves that to a separate location, so I can just mirror that. That way, I have a low-res backup of the most recent x hours of recording in case something happens to the local storage. I'd have full res video stored locally.

I understand how to setup substreams in BI, but my understanding is that the normal way it works is that it stores the main stream, and uses the substream for multicam viewing, etc.

Is there anyway to accomplish this?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
actually... no worries. pretty sure I figured it out.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you mind explaining how you accomplished I am curious in the future if I want to change which one records as I thought both always recorded and it was only which was viewed that changes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would create a "clone" camera for the substream only in a case like this and "hide" it, keeping the original with full resolution and the substream.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
pretty much what was said above... create a clone of your cameras, edit the primary stream so that it refers to the the substream (in dhua, change "subtype=0" to "subtype=1")

Then change where you store video for that camera in the clips tab, so you're not storing hi res and low res in the same directory.

I also created two groups --lo and hi res, to maintain the advantage of being able to search through clips using low res footage and then switch to hi res if I need it.