Recording to SD when network disconnected

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I had a network down incident yesterday. One of my cameras continued to record events to it's SD card (2CD2135F-I) which was great, and exactly what I wanted. The other camera (2CD2732F-IS) which is configured for continuos record failed to record anything to it's SD card for the 20 or so minuted that the lan was disconnected. I checked the SD card and it's status was normal. I reformatted it anyway, but it didn't make any difference. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas in terms of how to troubleshoot this problem?
Does it need any extra configuration to get this to work? (I don't remember doing any for my other camera apart from inserting, formatting and initialising the SD card). Also, could it be that fact that this particular cam is set to record continuously? The problematic camera is running v5.25 FW.
Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried event triggered snapshots today which recorded to SD card while the network is disconnected, why the hell won't it record video to SD in the same scenario?
Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me round the bend!

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
SD backup is great for when the PC/NVR is offline. Are cameras powered via POE?, What do you mean by disconnected?, Camera was probably off completely.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Valiant!

These particular cameras are not powered via POE.

I had a power cut and everything but my network switch was backed up at the time, so I basically lost the network connection to all the devices that were connected to that switch. I've resolved that now, but it did get me thinking that in a really long power cut, which I do have occasionally, the UPS that looks after my router, modem, NAS and a couple of cameras lasts about 6 hrs less than the two little 12v DC UPSs that supply power individually to two further cameras in my basement. Therefore, in extreme cases (I had 2 such occasions last year) the power backup to my network/Internet/NAS will eventually fail and I will be left with two cameras still operating in my basement parking area that I would like to continue to record events to SD for the remaining 6 or so hours that they potentially have power.

One of my cameras is just set to record alarm events that are triggered by a PIR sensor to my NAS, but when that is offline it happily and seamlessly records these events to SD - which is perfect! The other camera is set to record continuously to NAS, but when the NAS or network is offline it does not record video to SD. I know the SD card is fine as I have been able to configure it to record alarm event triggered snapshots to SD in this network/NAS down scenario, I just can't work out what I'm not doing in terms of getting it to record video in this instance. I'd like it to just record events to SD ideally, but would settle for it to carry on recording continuously to SD also. As it stands I can get neither to work.

Can anyone that has this working give me some tips/advice?