Red & Grey Foxes

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Color4K-X has a ways to go till dialed, but I'm enjoying the pursuit so far. My aux LED lighting will be here in the next few days, so until then I've stopped chasing my own tail trying to get anything perfect until it's installed. The daytime videos are still a bit of work though, and it's humbling to tackle. It amazes me how tweaking one thing can have such a ripple effect on other aspects of the shot. I'm thinking some things might be better off on 'auto', while others adhere, and adapt to those. So far the secret sauce is being a bit elusive.

Here's a comical interaction between 2 different foxes. The light red fox we call Hoppy, and she loves to rush up on anyone else. It was hysterical when she'd first do it with the grey foxes because they would run like hell, and then of course, Hoppy would chow down on their food. Now even the kit are becoming acclimated to her antics, and though they may feel driven to dart away at first, they are now spinning and posturing up in opposition. A good snarl from a grey kit here is all it took to dissuade the red from pursuing her any further, and the red saunters off with a bruised ego.

The grey kit in the upper right of the video is one of 2 kits from one of 2 grey dens we have nearby which have yet to disperse (a half dozen or more have thus far). So standing up to a red this size, while only 7-8 months old is pretty good. No grey adults were present at the time, so not only are the 2 kits here on their own lately but they are actively guarding what they see as their territory from interlopers such as Hoppy.

View attachment Hoppy runs after a kit who then turns and Hoppy spins on her heels and walks away.mp4

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And from moments ago. Forgive the dark areas; lighting is on it's way./

The red runs onto the rocks, and before long we can see the glowing eyes of a grey kit peering out from the woods at her. We suspect they are becoming pals, whether they know it or not, and this sort of cat and mouse is play behaviour for them.

View attachment Grey kit's glowing eyes watching Hoppy.mov

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Opps, the above post must not have sent last night, and just sat here....but it's Hoppy and a grey kit playing peek-a-boo. I love seeing their glowing eyes peering out from the woods.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's probably just me Paul, but I'm only getting the audio in that file right now for some reason.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My Color4K-X has a ways to go till dialed, but I'm enjoying the pursuit so far. My aux LED lighting will be here in the next few days, so until then I've stopped chasing my own tail trying to get anything perfect until it's installed. The daytime videos are still a bit of work though, and it's humbling to tackle. It amazes me how tweaking one thing can have such a ripple effect on other aspects of the shot. I'm thinking some things might be better off on 'auto', while others adhere, and adapt to those. So far the secret sauce is being a bit elusive.

Here's a comical interaction between 2 different foxes. The light red fox we call Hoppy, and she loves to rush up on anyone else. It was hysterical when she'd first do it with the grey foxes because they would run like hell, and then of course, Hoppy would chow down on their food. Now even the kit are becoming acclimated to her antics, and though they may feel driven to dart away at first, they are now spinning and posturing up in opposition. A good snarl from a grey kit here is all it took to dissuade the red from pursuing her any further, and the red saunters off with a bruised ego.

The grey kit in the upper right of the video is one of 2 kits from one of 2 grey dens we have nearby which have yet to disperse (a half dozen or more have thus far). So standing up to a red this size, while only 7-8 months old is pretty good. No grey adults were present at the time, so not only are the 2 kits here on their own lately but they are actively guarding what they see as their territory from interlopers such as Hoppy.

View attachment 108668
Beautiful scene. Love your back yard.

Last edited: