Refund Finally! Is there anything to be done to get this 2332 to work?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
31 days in the making, Aliexpress is finally starting to process my 75% refund on my hik 2332 with what seems to be an IR Cut filter issue. What a slow, frustrating process!!!

Anyway, I have seen several suggestions ranging from switching Day/Night modes a bunch of times (I have probably done this 40 times now), banging on the camera, flashing firmware.

Right now, I have a camera that is usable as a Black/White. I am a little scared to try the firmware option, but I don't know if that fear is warranted.

Can I physically open the camera to investigate the IR cut filter (and get it back together)?

Thanks,
John

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you truly think this is related to you IR cut filter (which I don't believe it is based on you camera images) you can try another trick that doesn't require you opening the camera. Find a strong magnet and place it to the side of the camera housing near the lens. Sometimes the magnet will help pull or push the cut filter into/out of place. Might have to slowly go around the entire body of the camera before you hear the "click" noise from the filter falling into place.

Good luck and glad to hear they are in process to getting you a partial refund.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you truly think this is related to you IR cut filter (which I don't believe it is based on you camera images) you can try another trick that doesn't require you opening the camera. Find a strong magnet and place it to the side of the camera housing near the lens. Sometimes the magnet will help pull or push the cut filter into/out of place. Might have to slowly go around the entire body of the camera before you hear the "click" noise from the filter falling into place.

Good luck and glad to hear they are in process to getting you a partial refund.
Interesting. I do have several small but strong magnets. They are N48 if I recall correctly. Is there any risk to the rest of the camera with the magnets? Magnets near video devices as being a bad thing is impressed upon me from what happens when you get a magnet near certain TVs...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not experienced anything bad as a result of doing this to some of my "cheaper" cameras. And to be totally honest, it already looks broken to me, so what do you have to lose ;)

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ruppmeister, you are absolutely correct! In day mode, if I put a magnet on the bezel opposite the little hole on the front, I can watch and hear the IR sensor move out of the way and go back. It seems as if there is a spring or something that just isn't strong enough. At first glance, it seems as though it will work if I glue or tape one of these magnets to the bezel.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bam! Tested working in an interior room. I can flip the lights on and off and hear the filter move and see the results. I am really surprised there is enough metal in the IR filter frame to make this work... At first it required the magnet, but now it seems to have worked a few times without it.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good news :)

Did aliexpress have to step in or did Julia just come good eventually? I've heard the aliexpress protection isn't the best but maybe you could educate me :)

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought they both did a poor job.

I stayed fairly factual in the other thread but in all honesty I think Julia was being passive aggressive once I wouldn't accept her terms ($60 refund or 'return item for full refund'). She started out helpful and quick to respond. Once I initiated the dispute, she stuck with 'return item for full refund' and was slow to respond - waiting almost every hour she had to respond.
Aliexpress offered 'return for full refund' or 75% refund, which is only $63 anyway. I am not thrilled with the Aliexpress dispute process. They offer huge timeframes in which both the buyer and seller have to respond. I think 10 days per step. I filed the dispute on 2015-06-29. I still have 8 hours until the process will move forward - Painfully slow!!! If I had a time sensitive issue, I would have had to make another purchase elsewhere while I waited for this dispute to close. In hindsight, I should have taken Julia's offer of $60. Any other purchases will be Amazon or Milkisbad.

And with all that wasted time, frustration, and bad PR for them - I just needed to mess with a magnet for 5 minutes!

Order NO:
67769243304175 (Dispute Case NO:4009752663)

Dispute Escalated - Waiting for both parties to respond

Reminder:
To move forward with this case, both the buyer and seller need to provide enough evidence (such as clear pictures or any other relevant information) to support their case within 0 calendar days 8 hour 31 minute 43 second

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad this worked out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And don't forget about Costco - the best returns anywhere in the world.