Remote Access problems

lovedgor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After upgrading to Blue Iris 5, I can't seem to get the remote access set up for use with the Blue Iris app on my iphone. It worked great with Blue Iris 4. I am using 2 ethernet adapters with the WAN address set to static. When running the remote access wizard, the router on LAN says 192.xxx.0.0 and gives ways to connect. DMZ or port forwarding is the options. What do you recommend for this?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Neither. See the multiple threads discussing VPNs and look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, for information on protecting your network. A DMZ or port forwarding is like leaving your front door open, a sign in the front yard flashing "no one is home" in big, bright, red letters then going on a month long vacation.

lovedgor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have vpn set up and working fine on old version. When running the remote access wizard, it displays an ip for my LAN that is not correct and won't let me change it..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With a VPN you don't need the remote access wizard. An incoming VPN, a VPN hosted by you on one of your computers or router, puts you directly onto your own LAN. From there you can simply use UI3 in Blue Iris. A VPN service, like Notorn, is to protect you going out onto the internet and not to protect incoming traffic. Incidentally, that IP address being displayed should be your "real" IP address supplied by your ISP.