Remote viewing Dahua with remote desktop vs. remote smartPss

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is mainly an FYI for anybody using smartPss to remotely connect to a Dahua NVR. I've been doing this using Dahua's P2P function, and was inspired by another post to try remote desktop instead. My main motivation was to be able to access a couple of other monitoring apps while on the road, but the "wow" difference in using smartPss is huge. And another huge win for me is that I can run linux on the remote computer. I'm using Team Viewer for the remote desktop software.

The performance improvement running smartPss on the home computer and viewing remotely vs. running it on the remote computer is big. A contributing problem running smartPss remotely is that my home internet is capped at 1 MBPS for outgoing traffic. With smartPss on the remote computer, response to commands is "dog slow", and mainstream video is unusable. With smartPss running on the home computer and viewing with Team Viewer, response to commands, while not snappy, is reasonable. I can view the main stream video and multiple camera windows. I'm not getting full resolution because of the link speed, but it is way better resolution than the substreams. Being able to view my other monitoring apps, and not having to boot windows makes it a triple win.

I do not want to allow remote access into my main computer. To work around this I picked up an ultra small form factor machine with a performance crippled i3-6100T CPU and SSD, loaded it with win7, smartPss, Pale Moon, IE11, and my monitoring apps. There's no personal data on it to be stolen or hacked, and when its on, it's the only computer on the network. With smartPSS running, the CPU utilization is in the 25% ballpark. When smartPss isn't running it draws about 15 watts, and goes up to 25 watts with smartPss running. After its first week-long test run, I'm totally happy with this setup.