remotely trigger siren

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I self monitor my home alarm/automation system. What I want to do, is have some way for the HA system to be able to trigger some sort of loud siren of some sort that I have with me when I am sleeping when away from home, for example, a trip. This way if something happens, I am awoken by the alert and can take action. I am running domoticz for my HA system, so it's decently flexible, I can send emails, sms messages, it says it's got some kind of ifttt integration to send http commands to ifttt but I'm not totally sure how that part works. Phone is android. Been racking my brain for a good solution. I was thinking the siren could be bluetooth connected to my phone that way the siren doesn't have to rely on being able to connect to the internet or anything, then something could go to my phone and trigger the siren, that would be a great solution.

My ghetto rig for right now could be to just connect my phone to external speakers and just crank the volume up and hope the domoticz app notification wakes me up, but it's been a pain to mute every single sound on the phone but that app, even though things will say they should be muted I'll still hear certain sounds. Haven't figured out a way to mute all sounds on the phone except for one app and have it over ride the do not disturb settings. things that are set to do that do not work on priority only it seems.

I'm not super confident anyone will have much for solutions but it's worth a shot lol, anyone seen @nayr? he'd probably have an idea.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
locally, all you need is a zwave output module and bell cut off timer.

Remotely, a siren sounds like overkill. Is your cell phone not capable of producing sounds loud enough to wake you? Fun as it may be to watch you go through airport security with some collection of sirens, wires, batteries and circuit boards, I fail to see the point.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can't you just assign a different, loud siren ringtone to the number alerting you via SMS and have that configured via a scheduler app on the phone? That way instead of the usual SMS alert ping you'd maybe get the siren from the alert...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
locally, all you need is a zwave output module and bell cut off timer.

Remotely, a siren sounds like overkill. Is your cell phone not capable of producing sounds loud enough to wake you? Fun as it may be to watch you go through airport security with some collection of sirens, wires, batteries and circuit boards, I fail to see the point.

It might be loud enough, I'll have to test it by having it go off while I am asleep lol I guess I will try that first and see. I just kinda wanted something that would "for sure" be loud enough lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
can't you just assign a different, loud siren ringtone to the number alerting you via SMS and have that configured via a scheduler app on the phone? That way instead of the usual SMS alert ping you'd maybe get the siren from the alert...
yeah I'm looking at a few apps to do that right now, might try tasker, and see if I can have it trigger based on a text or email with keywords in it, crank the volume all the way up, then play an mp3 file, that way I can keep my phone muted otherwise.