Renamed camera, now can't see old clips

jefft

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just renamed one of my cameras and now the clips list only shows clips since the rename. This seems pretty odd, as I would have expected the cams and clips to have some internal ID inside BI's database to index them, not to use the human-friendly name as the key.

Is there something I need to do, to get the older clips back into the clips list?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no internal ID and is based on the SHORT NAME of the camera. The short name would be considered the internal ID. You can make NAME whatever you want.

Change the SHORT NAME back to the old name and the clips will return.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
FYI, an excerpt from BI's built-in "Help", located at "Cameras" => "Adding a new camera":

"A camera has two names—a full or “long” name and a “short” name. The full name may be​
more descriptive and allows a wider range of characters to be used. The short name is used​
for URLs (web addresses) and filenames, so the characters you may use are more restrictive.​
It may be more of an “abbreviation” for the full name.​

Both the full name and the short name must be unique among all cameras and camera group​
names. The short name may not both begin and end with a number—it must begin or end​
with a letter. This allows the software to parse the camera short name from a filename."​

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Or you could rename all the files associated with the cam or cams you renamed and then perform a rebuild. Should hopefully then pick up the files and clips but you will lose all your alerts.