Replacing an unreliable Slingbox, DIY-style!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a Blu-Ray player, Play a modern movie (most of them have DTS-HD tracks now a days) and hock up the H264 box to the HDMI output. If it works Blu-Ray player should stay on the multi-channel track and audio be heard on the stream. What I am expecting it happen is this:
The h264 box, will have in it's EDID info that only dupports stereo input or DolbyDigital at best and thus, Blu-Ray player will down convert the multi channel track to stereo.
One way or another, the encoder can only produce stereo audio. I am not sure how I would know which device was doing the downconversion. I suppose I could split the signal to my home theater receiver but that is too much trouble ;)

Another side question, have you ever checked the delay? Let's say you hock up both your TV and this box to your source, play the stream on your device while at home and see how far behind the stream is. I need something with 1 sec max.
As I mentioned in the original post, it is about 2 seconds of latency over LAN, with VLC using a 1000 ms input buffer. So 1 second latency would be pretty much impossible because a buffer is absolutely required to stream h264 without hiccups and pauses.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One way or another, the encoder can only produce stereo audio. I am not sure how I would know which device was doing the downconversion. I suppose I could split the signal to my home theater receiver but that is too much trouble ;)
Like I mentioned, i don't care much what happens with the audio in the stream. I am mostly concerned about the source. Thank you for not going to trouble for me :)
As I mentioned in the original post, it is about 2 seconds of latency over LAN, with VLC using a 1000 ms input buffer. So 1 second latency would be pretty much impossible because a buffer is absolutely required to stream h264 without hiccups and pauses.
Thanks, very detailed info there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, i don't care much what happens with the audio in the stream. I am mostly concerned about the source. Thank you for not going to trouble for me :)
LOL. You said you require lower latency than this encoder can provide, so it seems purely academic to find out if it accepts more advanced audio encoding schemes.

For what its worth, I've also tried one of the more recent h265 encoders from Oupree but it has the same latency and stereo audio limitations, plus it doesn't deinterlace 1080i video correctly whereas the h264 encoder does fine.

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LOL. You said you require lower latency than this encoder can provide, so it seems purely academic to find out if it accepts more advanced audio encoding schemes.
I am thinking with lower quality stream, I might be able to bring the latency down to about a second, which is acceptable.

I am trying to find a public available live stream in mpeg-ts encapsulation, H264 codec and I can't. Would anyone be willing to share a stream with me for a week or less? I don't know if I can make it work with my environment.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, if you can tolerate a delay, I use DVR software (SageTV Media Center V7 which was bought out and discontinued by Google) with SiliconDust HDHomeRun networked tuners to record TV (which I receive OTA via an antenna in my attic, but SiliconDust also offers tuners compatible with cable systems). I then use MCEBuddy (freeware) to convert the recordings to MP4 files, which I can remotely stream via the Internet with Plex Media Server (I use the free version). Plex Media Server also allows me to stream my MP4 movies.

SageTV is still own by Google but it now Open Source and there a new version 9 out.

It still the best PVR ever and mine been running solid for 9 years! I am still using the same harddrive from the day I build it and I have 4 total tuners in it. Dual HDHomeRun and two colossus card for two DirectTV STB. All hidden away in the basement and I use an extenders to view the LiveTV or recording from it.

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

MrEngineer

n3wb
Reaction score
I wrote an article on how to create a slingbox replacement using only two products from amazon: