Replacing HDW2231R-ZS with 4K cameras with Mic?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone got any suggestions?

I am very happy with the HDW2231R-ZS cameras, but 2 of them cover a long distance, and I would GREATLY benefit from 4K. I'd hate to lose low light performance. A mic would also be a bonus

Would love some suggestions

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest the middle ground, the Dahua 5442 series with a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor. There are 8MP, 4K, versions that use the same sensor, but doubling the resolution effectively cuts light to each pixel by half reducing low light performance.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out. It's a pretty far reach to where I want to view though, I have the cameras set quite wide, so I lose a lot of the performance gained with the zoom, thats why I was looking for 4K

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
4K won't help if you're looking for distance. Only a "bigger" lens will help but that comes with a penalty of losing coverage closer in caused by the longer focal length. Sounds like you're trying to do too much with one camera in this case.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
More detail of something too small in the first place, especially under low/no light conditions, won't help all that much. The best way is to get a full view optically first, then worry about megapixels.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're trying to do too much with one camera in this case.
This is correct. This is a common issue with folks starting out with IP cams. Overview cams are fine. But they lack the ability to give good facial pics for anything further away. Basically if you want to see what is going on in a wide angle view, you use a wide angle lens. If you want to see what is going on far away, you use a telephoto lens. This is no different than using a DSLR Nikon camera.

If you compare the 8mp cam to the 4mp cam you get one digital zoom to the 4mp cam to match the 8mp FOV. But the pixels are twice as big. So most folks think that they are getting a better view from the 8mp cam. But that is fine for daytime picturesque views that make nice marketing shots, but in lower light situations, the 8mp cam (assuming they both have the same sensor) will not perform as well as the 4mp cam if there is motion. You have mashed twice the pixels on the same size sensor as the 4mp cam. Each pixel gets half the light. So for a similar performance in low light, an 8mp cam needs TWICE the light as the 4mp cam.

Do not chase MP. Look for good performance based on sensor size.

For detail, choose the proper lens for the job. I have a few overview, wide angle cams. I love the view I get. When I hear a noise outside, I can quickly see what it might have come from. But then I switch to one of the cams that are focused at the choke point with a zoomed in FOV so that I can get more info, like face, markings on clothing, logos, damage on vehicles and plates. Each cam I have has a specific job to do. None of my cams do more than one job. Well except for my Intersection cam that monitors the 'T' intersection. That cam is used to supplement my LPR cams by getting make, model, color, damage, etc. of the vehicles that the LPR cams pick up. But sometimes I use that Intersection cam for reading license plates.