REQUEST: Live View in Chrome (Chromebook/Chromebox..even Chromecast?)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of the most enjoyable tech purchases I've come across in YEARS..Chromebook! I *could* go on and on about it, and how M$ IS malware, but I digress...:laugh:
As we all know, ChromeOS is stripped of the usual plugins needed to watch Live View, and I currently have to RDP/fullscreen to watch on my Win7/BlueIris, which works, but...could be soo much better to simply have a link to watch live. Better still, to be able to Chromecast the live view to my flat screen!

camwhore

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't know whether this will be any help at all but you mention Chrome and I can get my substream displayed in Chrome browser using the Quicktime dropdown option on an Ubuntu 14.04 install and to my knowledge no additional plugins or similar have been downloaded or installed. Strange thing is that it didn't work at first then a day later suddenly did. None of the other options will work though, just the QT.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know whether this will be any help at all but you mention Chrome and I can get my substream displayed in Chrome browser using the Quicktime dropdown option on an Ubuntu 14.04 install and to my knowledge no additional plugins or similar have been downloaded or installed. Strange thing is that it didn't work at first then a day later suddenly did. None of the other options will work though, just the QT.
Thanks for the reply! I'm afraid both of my Chromebooks indicate 'no plugin detected'..using all of the available dropdown plug-ins.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Random thoughts, noting that I don't have BlueIris or a ChromeBook. Just thinking out loud :)
Can it do Java? Can you run the app or the custom files? From bp2008 or Mike?
I recall something about internet mode and a jpg every sec for remote viewing, not quite live view, but it might give you a go-between for your chrome books, as jpgs <> video or streaming, as long as you still get regular alarm recording and then review on pc.
Or did you already try that, and you're still stuck needing a plugin?

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No 'third-party' executable on Chrome, I'm afraid...lack of alternatives (html5?) has me thinking RDP will be the only way. :|

Reaction score
I am currently (slowly) working on a "Blue Iris Companion for Web" solution (should work in any modern browser on any platform). The (long term) target is to include there essential remote control abilities (BIC like) plus some "goodies" to help managing the Blue Iris server a bit better (won't disclose too much just some keywords: location, weather, watchdog, geofence). No idea when it will be ready though (I am still putting the parts together) :(

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A year later, and I can get jpeg-pull to work (thanks google), but it stutters badly.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This works! Still a wee jittery, but I love fullscreen, and it works better than BI default! Cheers!

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thread back form the dead. ChromeOS has come a LONG way, and I am now running Blue Iris on my chromebook (Acer 15 inch Intel processor) and it is surprisingly stable, albeit only my DeckCam. As you can see, running 45% CPU and around 215mb memory. I can't get UI3 working, owing to the weird lan configuration by CrossOver, but I'm impressed it works at all! Cheers!
Screenshot 2018-05-29 at 8.24.28 PM.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive. The last time I remember someone trying to run Blue Iris on a different OS through a compatibility layer, I think they were also using CrossOver on a Mac, and had problems getting BI to detect the network adapter. It might have been you :)

I don't have a chromebook of my own but I tried a low-end one once. It was terrible at UI3 due to the slow CPU. For a few months of 2017 I had UI3 using Chrome's H.264 decoder and that was efficient enough that it would have actually been usable on a low-end Chromebook. Unfortunately I had to scrap that option when Chrome deprecated their NaCL framework.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive. The last time I remember someone trying to run Blue Iris on a different OS through a compatibility layer, I think they were also using CrossOver on a Mac, and had problems getting BI to detect the network adapter. It might have been you :)

I don't have a chromebook of my own but I tried a low-end one once. It was terrible at UI3 due to the slow CPU. For a few months of 2017 I had UI3 using Chrome's H.264 decoder and that was efficient enough that it would have actually been usable on a low-end Chromebook. Unfortunately I had to scrap that option when Chrome deprecated their NaCL framework.
Wasn't me...I've never owned anything Apple in my life. Crossover has given me a phony LAN arrangement in BI, so the usual ways to do UI3 don't work. :( I have set up FTP to WeatherUnderground and it is working great, uploading a new pic every 5 minutes, just like my Windows setup is doing. Think I will try to tie in BI Tools next. Cheers!
https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/a/l/Alphawave7/1/current.jpg?