Request suggestions for camera's for surveillance/monitoring

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I did search on the forum but couldn't quite find answer to this. I would appreciate if someone can provide some guidance.

i ) From what i have read so far looks like a dedicated POE switch adds more feature but is not much secure and needs to be configured to make it work. Is it safe to leave POE switch in the attic, I live in Texas so during summer it can go up to 110 F!!. Looks like NVR5208-8P-4KS2E produce some fan noise, does it make sense in have a non POE NVR and then a POE switch next to each other to avoid fan noise?

ii) Would I be able to remotely log in to the NVR?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It is not a good idea to have a switch, or any active electronics for that matter, in an attic. The temperatures will get too high, especially in the summer, in Texas or just about anywhere south of the Canadian border.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is not a good idea to have a switch, or any active electronics for that matter, in an attic. The temperatures will get too high, especially in the summer, in Texas or just about anywhere south of the Canadian border.
Thanks. That is what I thought.

Do you know if i can remotely login to NVR and look at the cameras?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, but the best way to do that is to use a VPN. Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a whole section on securing your network in there. There are numerous threads discussing how to set up a VPN. Remember, this isn't to protect you while surfing the internet, this is to provide a secure connection coming in to your network/LAN.