Reversed PoE direction on IP5M-T1179EW

Campfool

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently made the idiotic mistake of reversing the in/out ports of a PoE injector going to an IP5M-T1179EW. In my defense, it was during the winter storm that knocked power out for most of Texas, I had disconnected everything of value from mains due to surges and fluctuations the grid was experiencing. While plugging everything back in I reversed this one cameras cables at the injector. It was reversed for a few minutes while I messed with other plugs. I have a second identical camera and injector at the same location, and ever since neither camera connects over PoE. I am just now dealing with this, and I haven't pulled either camera down to check whether they are booting at all, if they will work with the wall wort, or maybe thrown back into setup mode. I have, however, ruled out all the equipment that I assumed I burned up by send power the wrong way. The injectors connect to an 8-port hub which connects to my cable modem. I'm replacing the 8-port hub, but it seems unaffected and when tested using another camera all seems fine.
I'm climbing up this weekend to pull these two cameras down ,but I can't think of why sending power away from one camera cause both cameras to go rogue?
I've had no issues at all with these two cameras previously, they've been up there for maybe half a year.
Does anyone have an idea what I'll find when I retrieve them?
And I do apologize if this was the wrong place to post this, not sure if there is a right place for it.
Thanks!
Cameras: two IP5M-T1179EW
PoE Injector: Cudy POE150 30W PoE+/PoE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems weird or coincidental of a camera outage - switching the ethernet cables of an injector would mean you sent power to the computer or another switch and nothing to the camera. And most of these are capable of knowing whether power is needed or not and doesn't send power if not needed. I have made that mistake before as well and reversing them and everything still worked.

Are you sure you don't have them reversed? Have you tried switching them again and giving it a few moments?

Campfool

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems weird or coincidental of a camera outage - switching the ethernet cables of an injector would mean you sent power to the computer or another switch and nothing to the camera. And most of these are capable of knowing whether power is needed or not and doesn't send power if not needed. I have made that mistake before as well and reversing them and everything still worked.

Are you sure you don't have them reversed? Have you tried switching them again and giving it a few moments?
It does seem strange, cause I figured I had burned up the port in the hub. But the hub seems fine. And, yeah, I've double, triple checked I've got the cables correct now. Other cameras power up when I connect them to this cable.
There was crazy things going on with the Texas grid that week, but I had disconnected everything. It's possible an errant, late surge is the culprite though.

Campfool

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently made the idiotic mistake of reversing the in/out ports of a PoE injector going to an IP5M-T1179EW. In my defense, it was during the winter storm that knocked power out for most of Texas, I had disconnected everything of value from mains due to surges and fluctuations the grid was experiencing. While plugging everything back in I reversed this one cameras cables at the injector. It was reversed for a few minutes while I messed with other plugs. I have a second identical camera and injector at the same location, and ever since neither camera connects over PoE. I am just now dealing with this, and I haven't pulled either camera down to check whether they are booting at all, if they will work with the wall wort, or maybe thrown back into setup mode. I have, however, ruled out all the equipment that I assumed I burned up by send power the wrong way. The injectors connect to an 8-port hub which connects to my cable modem. I'm replacing the 8-port hub, but it seems unaffected and when tested using another camera all seems fine.
I'm climbing up this weekend to pull these two cameras down ,but I can't think of why sending power away from one camera cause both cameras to go rogue?
I've had no issues at all with these two cameras previously, they've been up there for maybe half a year.
Does anyone have an idea what I'll find when I retrieve them?
And I do apologize if this was the wrong place to post this, not sure if there is a right place for it.
Thanks!
Cameras: two IP5M-T1179EW
PoE Injector: Cudy POE150 30W PoE+/PoE
Both cameras needed to be reset but otherwise are back to working normally. I'm not sure if it was the PoE cable being plugged in wrong or if it was some other anomaly occurring on the power grid that week, of which there were many, that caused them to shut down. With any luck and a bit more care on my part, I won't get the opportunity to find out.