tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
You could split that cable into two.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could split that cable into two.
True but that would require a PoE switch or at least a powered splitter at the cameras. There is really no good location for that unless I add some sort of utility box.

In the meantime, I turned off the built-in IR illumination for that duo dome (boobie) camera and the image is much better (with the IR diodes off). Whatever I gained in illumination I lost in contrast. I have some spillover light from two nearby T5442s which is decent but I may just add a stand-alone illuminator or two to fill shadows

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True but that would require a PoE switch or at least a powered splitter at the cameras. There is really no good location for that unless I add some sort of utility box.

In the meantime, I turned off the built-in IR illumination for that duo dome (boobie) camera and the image is much better (with the IR diodes off). Whatever I gained in illumination I lost in contrast. I have some spillover light from two nearby T5442s which is decent but I may just add a stand-alone illuminator or two to fill shadows
Nope it does not require a POE switch or powered splitter at the camera.

Many of us use this when we added an LPR camera next to an overview camera:

Or if you don't have an extra port available on the POE switch inside but have the power budget left, this works and fits in a junction box:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope it does not require a POE switch or powered splitter at the camera.

Many of us use this when we added an LPR camera next to an overview camera:

Or if you don't have an extra port available on the POE switch inside but have the power budget left, this works and fits in a junction box:

Thanks. I was aware of the LINOVISION/Loryta device but not the IPCamPower combiner/splitter you mentioned (which does the switch function at the source). Thanks for that information.

I run (almost) everything from an older Unifi US-24-250w switch so power is not an issue (although fan noise can be).

After seeing how much the images improved after turning off the internal IR illumination I think I'll be satisfied using a dual dome cam, especially considering the wires and mount are already there. With IR off (only stray IR from two nearby T5442 cameras) my only complaint is shadows from by porch columns. Hopefully one stand-alone IR illuminator will fix that. This is a wide area "overview" camera so smart IR is not needed.

I will try a newer 2x4K mini-dual dome cams in this location when it arrives but I expect similar results.

Of course, I'd still be dead in the water if @wittaj hadn't told me about the lens coating failure ruining the image (and how to fix it).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are two identical shots from my D4231F-E2-M with the built-in IR illuminators on and off. Note the improved contrast and crispness with the IR lights off. The dome was as clean as I could get it. I think optical distortion from the actual dome may be responsible for some of the "fog"; the camera was pointed very far "off axis". With the IR off, available IR illumination was "overflow" from two nearby T5442 cams (note the shadows from porch columns). The 10W LED flag light created a strong contrast but the camera handled it well.

IR on.jpg IR off.jpg

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to control the second channel with the sunrise/sunset app? Just entering the IP for host name only seems to control channel 1. I assume channel 2 needs a unique entry for this but not sure how to modify it. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to control the second channel with the sunrise/sunset app? Just entering the IP for host name only seems to control channel 1. I assume channel 2 needs a unique entry for this but not sure how to modify it. Thanks!
Bottom left hand corner of the edit camera function in the utility:

1667579545007.png