Review- VTO2301R-P 2mp Door Station/Doorbell Dahua/Empiretech

rG-tom

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you disable the power saving feature of Android for that app? I had several apps mixing notifications on my Pixel 6, on Android 12 and 13, I always had to force some apps to not use power saving mode. Microsoft authenticator for example is another app that sometimes doesn't push notifications if Android pushed it into sleep, so I had to disable that feature.
It's odd because I DO get a push notification even if phone screen is off, but it is literally just a notification, single buzz like a new email. It should vibrate continuously and show a call / hang up option like it does when the app is open, or at least on iPhone where it shows an audio call answer swipe.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's odd because I DO get a push notification even if phone screen is off, but it is literally just a notification, single buzz like a new email. It should vibrate continuously and show a call / hang up option like it does when the app is open, or at least on iPhone where it shows an audio call answer swipe.
I wonder if Andy from empire tech can help with that? Surely dahua will have interest improving their app to support this feature on android phones properly

JT3

n3wb
Reaction score
Since the substream is 1080 and the main is 720p, does anyone know how to get BI to record the substream on trigger as opposed to the main stream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since the substream is 1080 and the main is 720p, does anyone know how to get BI to record the substream on trigger as opposed to the main stream?
Simply flip the main and substream in the BI pulldown window. So put the substream in for the mainstream and put the mainstream in the substream.

rG-tom

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if Andy from empire tech can help with that? Surely dahua will have interest improving their app to support this feature on android phones properly

Anyone else have any ideas ?

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@rG-tom did you get any newer firmware update? Has the behaviour changed or still the same?

I'm hoping there is some sort of chime to use with this doorbell eventually.

Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns - in your initial set of pictures, there is a wire harness with red and black wires, is that to power the camera using the existing doorbell wiring? I am speaking with Andy to get one but use it over wifi as I don't have POE at my doorbell.

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns - in your initial set of pictures, there is a wire harness with red and black wires, is that to power the camera using the existing doorbell wiring? I am speaking with Andy to get one but use it over wifi as I don't have POE at my doorbell.

Thanks!
Be sure to read the manual and the spec sheet in the first post.
My memory is foggie, about the power, so please confirm yourself.
But, specs say: Power Supply 12–33 VDC, 1 A ; Standard PoE
So, I would say yes that you can power it with the existing wiring, but NOTE that it requires DC power. So don't try to power it with a standard door bell transformer, as that is AC.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Iframe not adjustable.
if someone is still interesting in this camera (and not using reolink), here are some helpful commands
settings are for mainstream (on vto its the substream number !)

maybe settings resets itself, so crontab could be helpful

manual color/ir-cut mode (0 is color, 1 is auto, 2 is ircut):

manipulate bitrate:

manipulate iframe (match with fps setting):

manipulate h264 profile (baseline is default):

manipulate encoding/quality (default is 4):

iframe.jpg

Last edited:

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you guys getting on with this doorbell? I've tried a Reolink POE, but I'm utterly disappointed with it.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I actually replaced it with the Reolink POE and much prefer it surprisingly. The old Dahua is sitting on my desk collecting dust.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no problem with dahua, I would like to give it a go but there is very little reports about how it works, nothing on youtube, no idea how well the Android app works. Reolink has been quite disappoointing with their notifications compared to Ring. We miss notifications because reolink does not give any option to use a different sound on the app when the door rings, also does not sell additional chimes or support additional chimes

Reaction score
FYI just in case anyone is considering this still. I have been running this and while I agree the integration to the Android DMSS app is questionable, I have it set up and am using it with my Home Assistant ecosystem. Doorbell press plays a chime (or any .mp3) through my 4-zone Sonos system and also pulls up a doorbell video stream on 3 Roku-connected TVs.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no problem with dahua, I would like to give it a go but there is very little reports about how it works, nothing on youtube, no idea how well the Android app works. Reolink has been quite disappoointing with their notifications compared to Ring. We miss notifications because reolink does not give any option to use a different sound on the app when the door rings, also does not sell additional chimes or support additional chimes
yeah, its for the US market.
People over there dont want to talk. Not sure why even needs a doorbell.

Same on Apple Homekit integration with any doorbell. Just receive a normal notification, not a ringtone.

But you can simply use any SIP app if you want to get phone call like with video. Linhome is also an option.

Reaction score
Thank you @duplo for the links! :thumb:

I find the "best" doorbell discussion interesting. Although I have my VTO2311R-WP's integrated with Blue Iris and Home Assistant, in my humble opinion the best
experience for my needs are with the VTH's installed too.

Consider a traditional analog doorbell experience. Some person outside the house pushes a button and it provides an audio alert that someone wants to talk to
you. Traditionally then you would walk to the door, open it, and talk to the person. If you were not at home they might leave a card or something, but the
discussion would not happen. For my use case, that's about all I want from a video doorbell - an enhanced, digital version of the traditional doorbell experience - except I
do not want to open the door in order to talk to anyone, and in most cases I do not want to talk to anyone. :D That is why I like the VTO and VTH system.

I have two VTO's and (now) six VTH's. If someone presses a doorbell button (often they do not) I can hear notification audio played on all six VTH's, and if I want to
talk with them I can anywhere in the house. If it is a person that I want to let in then I can by pressing the unlock icon on the VTH and my Home Assistant setup
unlocks the door via Z-wave. I really do not care much about the quality of the video from the doorbell. By the time a person reaches either of my doors they have
been detected and recorded on at least five 4K Dahuas and I have been notified. If they step on the porch an IPC-T5442T is just a couple feet away (a trick I learned
from @looney2ns post). As I mentioned, I typically do not want to talk to anyone when I am home, so when I am away from home I especially do not want to talk to
them. The VTH's are often used as intercoms inside the house. Also, the VTH's are essentially POE monitors - I can view and quickly cycle through all my cameras - not just the
doorbells - using a VTH.

But I'm probably not a great source of opinions on doorbells: I grew up in cornfield in central Indiana in a farmhouse that my great grandparents
started cobbling together in the 1880's and from the time I could remember in the 1960's there was no front door knocker, much less a doorbell.
In fact, there was not even a lock until the mid 1970's when my grandparents simply used a hasp and a padlock.
Now I have electronic deadbolts and a video doorbell/intercom system! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello and Merry Christmas to all! My question Is this the same door station as what Andy has on his site?
If so does this review here apply?
Also would anyone know if this door station would be a better option?
Does this one come with a wedge also?
Just pre wired up a friends house with cat5e for cameras and ran one to the front door as well. All cams and NVR will be from Andy, so would like to keep the doorbell Dahua also. For easy app access to everything (older retired couple) . Would like to add a VTH as well.
Any info or experience/input with the above products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.