Ring Pro - Now $199

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a Ring Pro for $199, $50 bucks off. not bad.

I have a Blue Iris setup with 6 Dahua Cameras, but as you guys know the doorbell solution is the tricky part. I'm pretty happy with this combined setup i have now.

I also bought a Ring Security system from Costco after canceling my SimpliSafe security system.

Because of this, The $10 bucks a month for security and video is very competitive.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
so pray tell, how have you integrated the (cloud-only) Ring with your BI system?
what's the bandwidth usage like, sending video up to the cloud only to pull it back down?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Give us a review of how you like the Ring security after a few months. I have seen some positive on-line reviews but many of them are just marketing ploys in disguise.
What did you not like about SimpliSafe to decide to cancel?

My parents have the Ring2 doorbell cam and I am very unimpressed with the video and the functionality. 99% of the time I get false motion detection and then the video is either of nothing or just the tail end of the trash truck driving by...By the time the camera boots up to catch movement it is usually past so I have no idea what or who may have been there. There was an option to set the motion range. The graphics looked nice, like you were selecting a perimeter range for detection. You could select 5, 10, 50ft etc. or something like that but it really did nothing at all for the near\far range sensitivity no matter what distance it was set....always get vehicle drive by motion. Even worse at night because it has to power up the camera and the IRs, so the video you get starts out black, then bright white and slowly corrects...again, by then no motion to see. That's assuming the device connects and actually sends me the trigger anywhere near when it happened.

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
so pray tell, how have you integrated the (cloud-only) Ring with your BI system?
what's the bandwidth usage like, sending video up to the cloud only to pull it back down?
My ring is not integrated with BI nor can it be since ring is a proprietary system. I have a Dahua Turret POE cam at my front door that gives a overview. Having both the ring, and IP Cam via BI at my front door is a great solution.

Bandwidth: Honesty, don't care because I have 1GIG fiber from centurylink, no data caps

Last edited:

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
Give us a review of how you like the Ring security after a few months. I have seen some positive on-line reviews but many of them are just marketing ploys in disguise.
What did you not like about SimpliSafe to decide to cancel?
I had the older simplisafe equipment (they just came out with new gen equip), and it was showing it's age and just outdated. Plus, I was paying $25 per month and the only plan to be able to use the app. The ring equipment is much more modern and functional. Also, most alarm companies, simplisafe, ring, etc, use 3rd party vendors for the call center monitoring anyway. If an event is triggered, its very possible to be handled from the same call center that is handling simplisafe, and others.

My parents have the Ring2 doorbell cam and I am very unimpressed with the video and the functionality. 99% of the time I get false motion detection and then the video is either of nothing or just the tail end of the trash truck driving by...By the time the camera boots up to catch movement it is usually past so I have no idea what or who may have been there. There was an option to set the motion range. The graphics looked nice, like you were selecting a perimeter range for detection. You could select 5, 10, 50ft etc. or something like that but it really did nothing at all for the near\far range sensitivity no matter what distance it was set....always get vehicle drive by motion. Even worse at night because it has to power up the camera and the IRs, so the video you get starts out black, then bright white and slowly corrects...again, by then no motion to see. That's assuming the device connects and actually sends me the trigger anywhere near when it happened.
The Pro version is the key so that you can setup Motion zones. Its kind of a joke because this is a basic feature that we are all spoiled by Blue Iris. I carved out all the street areas where it could catch passing cars. I get virtually no false alarms. The events that do get triggered, motion at doorstep, people ringing doorbell, video, recording, is all working great. I also have a good home network setup though, with multiple Ubiquity Unifi APs, so my wifi connection and throughput is really good. I also have 1gig Fiber internet, which really helps with the cloud upload/download of videos.

So in your case, you need to setup motion zones, and check the wifi.