Rio Wifi Router "bulletproof security?"

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just notice that this hit the market any good?

Supposed to be good for security within your network

""SecureRoom™ device vault
Seamless sharing, bulletproof security.
Known in the enterprise realm as VLAN's,
Rio's SecureRoom™ technology isolates approved
devices from communicating with devices in other
SecureRooms™. Thwarting cybercriminals from lateral
movement to other devices on your Wi-Fi
like cameras, doorbells, and more.""

But i can not see many reviews on it or even the specs, like the ports 1gb or 2.5gb?

2024-06-29_20-52-36.jpg

Thanks,

Reaction score
I have never heard of this company, and all I see on their site is marketing info. I had to drill down to find an "About" tab for company info, and it only shows 2 people as being their team. Looks like a startup company trying to get their foot in the door, and their pricing is not inexpensive, yet they tout cybersecurity only on the WiFi level. For my money, I would go with a well established company like Synology, that has the RT6600AX router that does all the Reo can do, and alot more. They also push out OS/Security/Enhancement updates on a regular basis. Just my 2 cents.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another sham KS company.

I couldn’t find anything in the FCC database, so it’s likely rebranded kit run by a couple of business/marketing types with no engineering background.

Any site making those claims and includes seals of US government agencies should be avoided.

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, approval from DOJ and DHS scares me off any way!

Reminds me too much of this piece of crap I've dealt with on numerous occasions:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Been using this for about a year, does I believe all that the RIO says it will, but has been vetted by many who know more about this stuff than I do.

They have 4-5 versions, this one is plenty for my home. I use it along with my existing Netgear R8000 without problem

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Few weeks ago i was looking at some type kind plug and play for better network lockdown with minimal settings to be done and also to have a interface to see what's going on within my network.
I have looks that specific one that u have and also their Firewalla Gold Se model , and other models like
Netgate 4200 w/pfSense
TP-Link ER7206 w/ Firewall Omada
UniFI system

Now if you get any of this the wifi router needs to go? or you can connect : Cable modem>firewalla>wifi router> devices?
Also i see the Firewalla Gold Se has the 2.5b ports already for higher internet speed which is a plus.

Been using this for about a year, does I believe all that the RIO says it will, but has been vetted by many who know more about this stuff than I do.

They have 4-5 versions, this one is plenty for my home. I use it along with my existing Netgear R8000 without problem

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks to all for reply.
I see lot of advertising from them RIO....

Anyway,
Not a Pro when it comes to Network stuff but trying to setup so is more secure.
This is my network setup:
Asus Wifi Router RT-AX86U two of them one upstairs (main) and one down stairs with backhaul aimesh hardwired (original firmware) and for Cable modem i have a Netgear Nighthawk CM3000 (Xfinity 1.2gb Download / 35 mbps upload)
Lately for the last month i been having few problems with slow speed when i check getting about 360 dl / 33 upload.
On my network i have 12 wired ip cams (outside), 3 wifi cams outside and about 8 wifi inside house. Call me Nuts but i have a Husky and when he is alone he howls and need to yell at him to shut up from work...neighbors complain a lot.
In top of that wifi wall switches in the house from tp-link/kasa/tapo about 20 of them and about 8 wifi water leak sensors around, my main computer and the dedicate BI one both running hard wired. All that ip wires connected to two poe+ tp link network hub and a 3rd forgot the brand but also a poe+ hub.
For my main pc where i did the speed test is only up to 1 gb internet network card integrated from what i know and now as my plan is for 1.2gb and my modem and router has the 2.5 gb ports i have purchased a TP-Link 2.5gb pcie tx201 card to test out.
But yah could also be the cable from street to the house the problem from my research. Some xfinity technician i talk to said to get a business account this way the line is all yours so u do not have to share baldwin with neighbors.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Few weeks ago i was looking at some type kind plug and play for better network lockdown with minimal settings to be done and also to have a interface to see what's going on within my network.
I have looks that specific one that u have and also their Firewalla Gold Se model , and other models like
Netgate 4200 w/pfSense
TP-Link ER7206 w/ Firewall Omada
UniFI system

Now if you get any of this the wifi router needs to go? or you can connect : Cable modem>firewalla>wifi router> devices?
Also i see the Firewalla Gold Se has the 2.5b ports already for higher internet speed which is a plus.

Yes you can do that

OR you can do what I did
Cable modem>wifi router>firewalla> devices

It actually works quite well and requires ZERO changes to your current configuration. Works by spoofing your devices into thinking it is your router

3 ways to set it up
Router Mode
Bridge Mode
Simple Mode (what I did)

Last edited:

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes you can do that

OR you can do what I did
Cable modem>wifi router>firewalla> devices

It actually works quite well and requires ZERO changes to your current configuration. Works by spoofing your devices into thinking it is your router

3 ways to set it up
Router Mode
Bridge Mode
Simple Mode (what I did)

May have to invest into some like this even if is $$$
I heard that UniFI system is good but $$$ and hard to configure.

Thank you for your advice. Appreciated.