Rotating Images with IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2. When I go to the web interface of the cam and to Camera->Conditions->Picture and I try to set Flip to 90 I get an error "current resolution does not support this function". Does that mean the 5842 cannot rotate an image?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2. When I go to the web interface of the cam and to Camera->Conditions->Picture and I try to set Flip to 90 I get an error "current resolution does not support this function". Does that mean the 5842 cannot rotate an image?
have u tried changing the resolution first, then trying to flip 90?

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have not. Shouldn't the camera be able to rotate the image at any resolution?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not.
Why not?

This article speaks to resolution in regards to monitors, but the same principle applies: What Is Monitor Resolution? Resolutions and Aspect Ratios Explained - ViewSonic Library

TL;DR Resolution values are: Horizontal X Vertical (2688 X 1520, 1920 X 1080, etc). When you rotate an image 90 deg (electronically) the device is limited by the maximum value for the vertical dimension. The contribution from @TonyR denotes changing to 1080p or lower. Max value eligible for rotation is 1920 X 1080.... rotated 90 deg becomes 1080 X 1920.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, if you play with the mount, you should be able to get it to point in just about any direction. So if you can't rotate the camera's view with software, you should be able to rotate the camera itself by 90 degrees to get the desired orientation.

EDIT - I'm an idiot! :D

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, if you play with the mount, you should be able to get it to point in just about any direction. So if you can't rotate the camera's view with software, you should be able to rotate the camera itself by 90 degrees to get the desired orientation.
What happens though if you want narrow at top & bottom and wide on the sides like "corridor" mode and still have the top of the object remain at the top of the reproduced image, then wouldn't a rotation in the cam's webGUI still be needed ?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Just did 4 ceiling mounts like this last week. Physically rotated the lens, and still had to rotate it electronically via GUI... only after dropping to a resolution supported by the electronic 90 deg adjustment

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@TonyR thanks for pointing this out. I guess I can't rotate the image without reducing the resolution which I don't want to do.

Just to be clear, I rotate the lens on the cam so I have a portrait view instead of the default landscape view. But then the image shows up rotated so I tried to rotate it back in the settings of the camera which didn't work. I did fix it in BI but I was hoping the cam can do it without BI using CPU time/power. Anyways, the cam can't do it so BI is doing it. Thanks!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Man, I wish I'd seen this thread before I spent half an hour fighting with my 5449s. Sucks dropping to 1080p but I did but the cameras more for their night capabilities than resolution.