Router behind Router

Reaction score
I've been through the VPN for noobs thread, and I think I kind of understand it. I have a second NIC enroute, and am pretty sure OpenVPN is the route I indend to go. So I need a router to host(?) Openvpn. My ISP already provides a wireless router that is the interface with the ONT(I have fiber service). So will I just run my router with Openvpn behind the ISP router, or would I be able to interface with the ONT sans the ISP router or is there additional configuration required to talk to the ONT?

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but generally speaking two routers on the same network will make a "clash" as a router is what hands out your IP adresses via DHCP for the clients on your network that is not set up for static IPs.
I am able to run my ISP provided modem-router in "bridge mode" and have my own router set up for DHCP on parts of the IP-range and static IPs reserved for the rest. (In addition to several subnets and Vlans but that's another topic)
And yes, I also run a OpenVPN server on my router to allow access to my home network (or parts of it)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^
This
Ask your ISP how to setup their modem/router in Bridge mode so that your router can handle managing your network and theirs simply passes through the connection. I do same with Xfinity

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I intended to convey the routers would be in series(I think). Ididn't know if it would just be treated as another hop or what. The only thing on this will be my BI machine, as this is my shop camera setup, and whatever Wifi access I grab with my phone. I've only had a single wyze cam before.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a wireless system set up for my home that does not depend on the ISP's router. I plug a lan port of the ISP's router into the WAN port of my router. It works fine. That way I can use whatever modem I get from the ISP and my home network doesn't need to change. I should go in the ISP's router settings and configure that device to be in bridge mode but I haven't yet.

At the front of my house, I have another wireless router set up in the same way, the lan port of the main network is plugged into the wan port of another router. This inner network is used to control my holiday (halloween and christmas) light shows. It allows the controllers on the show network to see the internet if needed but keeps network traffic between my home and my show separate. I could have set up a subnet but I chose this route instead. The network in a network works fine for my purposes here. This seems to be what you're looking to create. This setup does not isolate the things on that network from the internet.

My BI computer has 2 NICs. One is plugged into the home network, the other into the camera network. This does isolate the cameras from the internet.

I recently picked up a couple of travel routers. I have them set up to run wireguard, similar to openvpn. One is a client and the other is the server. When I travel, I can plug the server anywhere into the network. When I'm at my destination, I can connect the client router via cable, wireless repeater, or tethering. When I connect to the client router with my laptop, I can see my home network. My main network is a mesh network and doesn't have a vpn option. If it did, I would not need the travel router that plugs into the home network.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a wireless system set up for my home that does not depend on the ISP's router. I plug a lan port of the ISP's router into the WAN port of my router. It works fine. That way I can use whatever modem I get from the ISP and my home network doesn't need to change. I should go in the ISP's router settings and configure that device to be in bridge mode but I haven't yet.

At the front of my house, I have another wireless router set up in the same way, the lan port of the main network is plugged into the wan port of another router. This inner network is used to control my holiday (halloween and christmas) light shows. It allows the controllers on the show network to see the internet if needed but keeps network traffic between my home and my show separate. I could have set up a subnet but I chose this route instead. The network in a network works fine for my purposes here. This seems to be what you're looking to create. This setup does not isolate the things on that network from the internet.

My BI computer has 2 NICs. One is plugged into the home network, the other into the camera network. This does isolate the cameras from the internet.

I recently picked up a couple of travel routers. I have them set up to run wireguard, similar to openvpn. One is a client and the other is the server. When I travel, I can plug the server anywhere into the network. When I'm at my destination, I can connect the client router via cable, wireless repeater, or tethering. When I connect to the client router with my laptop, I can see my home network. My main network is a mesh network and doesn't have a vpn option. If it did, I would not need the travel router that plugs into the home network.

Plus for the GL range, I have been deploying them for years and years as VPN servers, But I usually send out this model
As its only acting as a VPN server, nothing else so doesn't need to be super powerful

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Simon Dog

n3wb
Reaction score
Democratik People's Republik of Massachusetts
ONTs often have both a fiber and RJ45 connection, only one of which is active. Verizon in my area is pushing use of the RJ45 connection as it supports higher speeds (at least on the model ONT they provide). You generally have to contact the providers support to have the ONT switched to RJ45 and can use your router directly. You can put the able tv router downscream if you need the COAX output. If you go this route, be sure your router has DHCP enabled and that it is disabled on the provided router (if you have to use that to get coax to your tv)

Reaction score
ONTs often have both a fiber and RJ45 connection, only one of which is active. Verizon in my area is pushing use of the RJ45 connection as it supports higher speeds (at least on the model ONT they provide). You generally have to contact the providers support to have the ONT switched to RJ45 and can use your router directly. You can put the able tv router downscream if you need the COAX output. If you go this route, be sure your router has DHCP enabled and that it is disabled on the provided router (if you have to use that to get coax to your tv)
Isp router is RJ45 to ONT.