Router for wireless cameras

Reaction score
I've done some searching on here and I either can't find, or there aren't any threads on wireless routers. My problem right now is that my father is planning on ditching his rented modem/router combo from the cable company. He's tired of paying the $8 a month to those crooks. I've found him a good modem, but this router stuff is driving me nuts.

His plan in the very near future is to get one of those wireless camera kits from Costco, at least that's the plan now and I haven't been able to talk him into hard wiring them. The router he needs would need to be able to handle the cameras(my guess is around 5-8 cameras), 2 iPhones, a kindle, a laptop, and some streaming of Netflix.

His budget will be around $100-$150 bucks. Is there a way to do all of this with one wireless router, or will he require other equipment? Anything that gets installed will be done by me.

Sorry if if this doesn't make sense, I'm dealing with a sick kid right now

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
5 to 8 cameras on one wireless network is asking a lot. If it absolutely must be wireless, then at minimum you should set up a second network just for the cameras, using a non-overlapping wifi channel. If you are running an NVR or PC software to view the cameras 24/7 then you should absolutely have that machine be wired, not wireless.

Asus RT-AC66U is a good one. I used one for a while but eventually I turned off its wifi and got a pair of Ubiquiti UniFi access points for about $70 each to serve my wifi. Also 802.11ac won't be worth anything for IP cameras that don't support the newer standard. My advice is to stick with older 802.11n hardware to save money.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the same router I use now, with 3rd party Tomato firmware: http://tomato.groov.pl/

Probably complete overkill for your dad but hopefully at least the wifi has good range. I bought that router for its dual core CPU and Tomato compatibility, and actually disabled its wifi.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking to get the Asus RT-N66U but after seeing this thread I guess I'm going to spend the extra $25 and get the newer model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
That is the same router I use now, with 3rd party Tomato firmware: http://tomato.groov.pl/

Probably complete overkill for your dad but hopefully at least the wifi has good range. I bought that router for its dual core CPU and Tomato compatibility, and actually disabled its wifi.
It may be, and I told him that, but he said screw it and why not get the better one.

Tomscave suggested merlin firmare and you suggest tomato. I don't really know the difference between each of those and the stock firmware. I guess I should do some reading. I also ordered myself the same router

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My experience with Asus stock firmware is a few years old now but when I had it, most configuration changes required the router to reboot which takes internet down for a minute or two. With Tomato, most settings changes do not require a reboot.

Things may have improved since then.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking to get the Asus RT-N66U but after seeing this thread I guess I'm going to spend the extra $25 and get the newer model.
+1 on the Asus RT-AC68U. I upgraded from the RT-N66U last year to the RT-AC68U. Both are great routers but wanted the latest and greatest at the time. I always install the Tomato firmware as @bp2008 mentioned. Been using the Tomato firmware since the Linksys WRT54GL days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Asus RT-AC68U is a massive overkill. Which is exactly the reason I have one!

Your dad will be happy with this. only issue I have is a bit of overheating. Might install a fan on it.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done some searching on here and I either can't find, or there aren't any threads on wireless routers. My problem right now is that my father is planning on ditching his rented modem/router combo from the cable company. He's tired of paying the $8 a month to those crooks.
They absolutely are crooks.

I rented a modem from Comcast because they were on site and would not do the install without a modem. My own came two days later and I returned the modem to Comcast and received a receipt.

Two years later, I'm going through the minutiae on my bill and discover that they never stopped charging me for the modem rental. Despite my having retained the signed receipt from their employee for the return, they were like "we can only give you three months of credit back" (the law on a breach on contract in my state was four years). I ended up cutting the cord over it.

Two years later, I just read the back of one of my bills again. These scum bags snuck the modem rental charge back in once again.

Yes, they are scum bags!