Router to switch

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently I have a 4 port router that is not POE and I have a 8 port POE injector but come to find out that I think I need a switch or injector that is POE+ for the Huisun poe ip cam from Jack. Now I have a few questions that I need advice on.

1. Should I get a TP-link 8 port switch that is non POE+ and just get individual poe+ injectors (thats a lot of AC plugs & wiring)?
2. Get a TP-link POE+ 8 port switch (much fewer AC cords & wires).
3. If I connect either of the 2 switches to the router can one just use a standard network cable to connect the 2?

Thanks for all your help,

vizi

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't need PoE+ but if the difference in price isn't big then why not?

Don't run individual PoE injectors IMO that's the worst way.

Option 2 for me. (3) Yes but wire a Cat6 AWG24 or lower in.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't need PoE+ but if the difference in price isn't big then why not?

Don't run individual PoE injectors IMO that's the worst way.

Option 2 for me. (3) Yes but wire a Cat6 AWG24 or lower in.

From what I thought I read in the Huisun forum was that poe+ was needed for those mini PTZ bullet cams as when the IR was used it had a tendancy to cut in and out (ill have to go reread the threads again..

I kinda figured option2 would be the best.. I also plan to use all cat6 maybe even cat7 it it will work and not too pricey.

vizi

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I thought I read in the Huisun forum was that poe+ was needed for those mini PTZ bullet cams as when the IR was used it had a tendancy to cut in and out (ill have to go reread the threads again..

I kinda figured option2 would be the best.. I also plan to use all cat6 maybe even cat7 it it will work and not too pricey.

vizi
Cat6 already an overkill but for an extra 50% I'd rather have the thicker wire anyway.

I think the whole PoE+ thing is a red-herring. No one is having issues when it's connected to PoE of a Hikvision NVR.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cat6 already an overkill but for an extra 50% I'd rather have the thicker wire anyway.

I think the whole PoE+ thing is a red-herring. No one is having issues when it's connected to PoE of a Hikvision NVR.

The only real reason for the cat7 was for future upgrades that way I wouldn't have to rerun cable as that is a no fun task of course less voltage drop is good to.

vizi

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Future upgrades... hmmm... Cat6 is already Gigabit. So don't bother.

Fat Cat6 is already pricey enough too!

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Future upgrades... hmmm... Cat6 is already Gigabit. So don't bother.

Fat Cat6 is already pricey enough too!

We use solid core cat6 here at work. I am going to TRY to see if the network people will toss whats left of a roll or 2 my way.

vizi

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely don't run multiple injectors if you can help it. The question should be, do you want a poe or poe+ switch? If you think you will possibly need more than 1 poe+ down the road, it would be cheaper to get a poe+ switch now vs buying multiple poe+ injectors.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as the poe+ I had the mind set it was better to have it not need it than to need it and not have it.

vizi

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed, especially if you're getting an active switch.