RS485 for PT control on ION 8channel

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought one of the RS485 pan and tilt brackets. I turned on the rs485 ptz function in the NVR and connected up the PT bracket. There isn't any response from the NVR PTZ control.

I ordered an USB RS485 adaptor to check the PT bracket. The bracket is working and is on address 1, same as the NVR is set to.

Any help with getting this to work?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @framednlv, the Address, Protocol, and Baudrate of the bracket all need to be entered into the NVR otherwise it won't move. I would check the owners manual that came with the bracket to see if it lists those three settings.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ryan,
I check it, the only thing lacking is the protocol "Pelco-d".
I'm also confused with the difference in controlling a PTZ IP camera and controlling a PTZ device connected to the NVR. How does the NVR deal with the two as it seem that the PTZ function is trying to control the active camera and not a device connected to the RS485 output on the NVR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As always...
Thanks,
Chris

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
That's a good question. I've honestly never used the RS-485 port on the ION NVR because most IP PTZs don't need it connected. I'll let you know if I find anything on it.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dads PTZ.JPG
That's a good question. I've honestly never used the RS-485 port on the ION NVR because most IP PTZs don't need it connected. I'll let you know if I find anything on it.
Ryan,
Did you get a chance to look into the RS485 PTZ function?

I took a snapshot of my Dad's HVR and the PTZ setting are much different. It looks like you can set each camera channel to a specific RS485 address. See the attached Picture.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Frame, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. What's the model number or can you link me to the bracket? What are the settings for the bracket set at by default?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Do you know who the manufacturer is? Send me a screenshot of your RS485/PTZ settings on your ION when you get a chance.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

To confirm, yours doesn't have Pelco D or P? Also, what's the current firmware version and build date on the ION?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Frame,

I will ask the manufacturer why they dont have Pelco D or P protocol from the list of options. Hopefully will get answer tonight.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, still working with them. Just wanted to keep you updated.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Frame,

Im very sorry but it looks like PTZ control through RS-485 is not possible with this NVR. The RS-485 is for keyboard control to control the NVR's menu's and such, its more of an input than it is an output. Very sorry for the disappointment.

Thanks,

Sean

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sean,
Thanks for looking into it. I'll check for another solution.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to follow up...
My wife took the Pan Tilt mount up to my fathers house to see if it would work on his Hybrid DVR. Plugged in and works fine with out any added configuration. Wife returned home with no Pan Tilt mount, so I don't have to worry about buying a new NVR.

I do appreciate the help you guy offered.
Thanks,
Chris

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No problem and sorry for the lack of features that you needed. It seems like it should work.