Rubber Mallet.... to the rescue!

Reaction score
Back in spring, I noticed one of my 5231z's was not functioning as it should. The IR light from the camera came on but the image was pitch black (this was verified by another camera in the same area seeing the IR come on & off). However, the camera was above the 2nd floor of my house as a general wide angled overwatch so I was lazy in getting around to taking it down to inspect it. Due to some vehicle vandalism I had, it was time to repurpose/reposition cameras and to see if this one 5231z could be fixed.
I factory reset the cam to no avail. I then gently whacked with a rubber mallet...whalla! 100% functioning. It was the IR cut filter that was stuck. I now have two 5231's at 6' height watching both sides of my driveway with an additional 5442 center at 10'.
I have the 5231 zoomed all the way out. Still get some whitewash from the left stucco wall but guess I have to live with it. For reference, the rear of the truck comes to around 50' distance.
9 2020-10-24 08.52.56.531 PM.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Back in spring, I noticed one of my 5231z's was not functioning as it should. The IR light from the camera came on but the image was pitch black (this was verified by another camera in the same area seeing the IR come on & off). However, the camera was above the 2nd floor of my house as a general wide angled overwatch so I was lazy in getting around to taking it down to inspect it. Due to some vehicle vandalism I had, it was time to repurpose/reposition cameras and to see if this one 5231z could be fixed.
I factory reset the cam to no avail. I then gently whacked with a rubber mallet...whalla! 100% functioning. It was the IR cut filter that was stuck. I now have two 5231's at 6' height watching both sides of my driveway with an additional 5442 center at 10'.
I have the 5231 zoomed all the way out. Still get some whitewash from the left stucco wall but guess I have to live with it. For reference, the rear of the truck comes to around 50' distance.
View attachment 73330

There are few things in the world that can’t be fixed with duct tape, WD40*, or a rubber mallet ;)

*(added WD40 to the list per @gwminor48 post below. How foolish of me to leave that out!)

Last edited: