Saving images from Security Cameras

doorsrio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for ways to automatically save images from security cameras (Axis primary, perhaps Panasonic as well) every x time (hours, day, etc.). Idea is to utilize the security cameras already installed and crate time lapse.

I did Google search and found some Python scripts but I couldn't get it to work. I was hoping Genetec (our VMS) but I couldn't find it although it does send pictures as attachment via email where there is an event.

Parrish

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Panasonic cameras, but most IP cameras have a intervalometer built in that will send images to an internal SD card for later retrieval by logging into the camera remotely. Or, if the camera has FTP capabilities you can have the camera send images to a simple FTP server at your location.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you can script in linux or whatever, install the ffmpeg package from your OS distribution, and...

ffmpeg -y -i "rtsp:/admin:$PASSWORD@$CAMERAIP/live" -vframes 1 $FILENAME.jpg

will pull a single full resolution still frame from the camera, which you can then scp or rsync to a webserver. Of course, replace the $NAMES with the actual values.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
example crontab entry that will do it once a minute, and push the file to a webserver using scp (it assumes you've configured ssh with key based logins)

*/1 * * * * ffmpeg -y -i "rtsp:/admin:$PASSWORD@192.168.xxx.xxx/live" -vframes 1 test.jpg && scp test.jpg $USER@freescruz.com:freescruz.com/

the */1 says to do this every minute. */5 would be every 5 mins, etc. I discovered the URI rtsp:/...../live works on hikvision and dahua but not reolink :(