Scrypted NVR - Anyone tried it?

sybia123

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has given Scrypted NVR a shot. It was one of the first viable methods of getting generic ip cams into an Apple homekit setup, and they recently released an NVR plugin (beta still IIRC) that looks promising. The UI of the NVR plugin also seems fairly well thought out (similar to UniFi in some areas). Pricing seems to be $40/yr for the first 4 cameras +$10/yr per additional camera.

I’m planning out an install and deciding on NVR software. BI is nice, but the homekit integration in particular for easy access would be nice. I could run both, but integrated would be more convenient.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am a heavy user of Scrypted NVR and am LOVING IT! the developer is actively working on it and the last few months I've been on it I have seen great improvements. I"ve got it running on a Dell Wyse 5070 i bought off ebay for $65 with a 4TB USB3 drive connected to store the footage. He's working on an Electron windows release that will make it more user friendly to install like Blue Iris is. I'm not aware of a release date but i read that it's supposed to be soon. If you're techy enough, install Ubuntu server on some hardware, use the Docker Compose installation instructions, and give it a test drive.

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i am a heavy user of Scrypted NVR and am LOVING IT! the developer is actively working on it and the last few months I've been on it I have seen great improvements. I"ve got it running on a Dell Wyse 5070 i bought off ebay for $65 with a 4TB USB3 drive connected to store the footage. He's working on an Electron windows release that will make it more user friendly to install like Blue Iris is. I'm not aware of a release date but i read that it's supposed to be soon. If you're techy enough, install Ubuntu server on some hardware, use the Docker Compose installation instructions, and give it a test drive.
It's great to hear someone who's using it. I'm in the situation where I need an NVR solution, I have x86 kit lying around and I feel I'd be mad not to give this a try however I did spin up a docker container to try it a while back and didn't get anywhere with adding my cheap firmware hacked Xiaomi Yi cameras via RTSP. You've made me think of trying again with my Dahuas.

z92846

n3wb
Reaction score
It's great to hear someone who's using it. I'm in the situation where I need an NVR solution, I have x86 kit lying around and I feel I'd be mad not to give this a try however I did spin up a docker container to try it a while back and didn't get anywhere with adding my cheap firmware hacked Xiaomi Yi cameras via RTSP. You've made me think of trying again with my Dahuas.
"Getting the hang of it", so am I.
I'm new to Scrypted and want to try Scrypted NVR service but think its a little expensive for a nub $40 for a one year sub.
I've bought several hp t620's, hp t630's and hp t730(triple screen w/ win11) in all I have 7 and have paid less the $25 per unit. I run pfsense firewall on #1, unifi controller on #2, home bridge on #3, home assistant on #4, scrypted on #5, Windows 11 Pro - triple screen #6 and have a few spares. They are inexpensive to purchase, upgrade, and are very quite and use very little power.

You are recording video footage locally on a 4tb hdd attached to your dell thin client through Scrypted NVR. I've had a bit a rough time getting Scrypted up and running. I'm farely new to the network ip camera gig and would love to figure out the scrypted nvr especially local recorded footage.