SD card needed with BI ?

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for opinions here...

Is there truly a need for having an SD card when using the camera with BI?

The only reason I can think of is in case BI somehow doesn't record and the camera does, but that doesn't seem likely.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Truly needed? No. But there are some reasons why you might want to use one, e.g., backup video to BI, to better see how native triggers are working on the cam, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SD cards are cheap and easier to put them in before you hang the cameras LOL.

And then in the event the BI computer konks out for some reason or is stolen or is updating, you have video on the SD card. Plus it can help with figuring out why or why not a camera AI is not working.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't think about the camera triggers or AI. This is exactly why I asked.

Thanks again,

Eric

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the past, I have typically purchased SanDisk cards, how do they compare to the Samsung?

Reaction score
What @looney2ns said.

If you find that any of your cams reboot unexpectedly, it may be the SD card. I have had two of my cams just reboot at random times. When I check, the SD card is very close to full, if not full. This happens even though the 'Disk Full' option is set to 'Overwrite'. I then do a format on the card and all is well. Sometimes it goes for months without an issue, even if the card is full. Then one day it ups and reboots. I do not have it set to auto reboot.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@samplenhold do you do a remote reboot to get them back up, or do you physically have to pull the card and then reboot?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A remote reboot works.

For my high traffic cams, I set up an auto delete every X days to prevent the card from getting full.

Many of us have found it is best to just record SD card on trigger and not continuous.

Last edited:

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but right now Amazon has a "Limited Time" deal on the 128Gb Samsung Pro Endurance for $16

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A remote reboot works.

For my high traffic cams, I set up an auto delete every X days to prevent the card from getting full.

Many of us have found it is best to just record SD card on trigger and not continuous.
That sounds much better than getting out the ladder and climbing up to remove the card!

I will bookmark this so that I remember to do the "auto delete".

I never considered using it for continuous, that just never occurred to me. I was figuring only when triggered if I used them.
After reading about using them to test "camera triggers", I am sold, just have to figure out Sandisk/WD/Samsung. I found some forums discussing them so I have some more reading to do.

Thanks a lot guys,

Eric