SD Card

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a feral cat community I would like to monitor. I have an available electric outlet.
There is no computer/network available at the site.
Can I use a Hikvision with an SD card and bring home the SD card from the camera to
view on my computer at home?
I looked at trail cams but found all the issues confusing.

Thank you for any help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if trailcams are confusing how is this going to be easier?

with IP cameras the SD cards are intended to be permanently installed; removing them or swapping them out is not a good idea.. an IP camera without an IP Network wont be very useful.

also most outdoor cameras w/SD card storage, have to be disassembled to access the SD card slot.. where as a trail cam you can take the storage out without removing it from its mounts.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you nayr. I know very little on the subject. I didn't realize the SD cards are not easy to access. I have found it is hard to find a trail cam with good night vision. From what I have read from Network Camera Critic it may be they are mostly high megapixil cameras. The 1.3 MP Hikvision cube takes fantastic night pictures for a very small cost. I can't seem to find a reasonably priced trail cam that can take decent night pictures. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there cats.. are you making a documentary or internet cat site?

I got a trail-cam with motion sensor and a flash on it; takes great full color photos at night.. got it as a xmas gift but I dont think it cost more than $60 years ago.

networkcamercritic died; his site is not up to date and was pretty specialized.. not exactly a trailcam review site.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no idea; its out in the field a few hundred miles away.. so I wont be finding out anytime soon.