SD cards

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question and I think I know the answer with prices these days.

do you guys put so cards in the camera as a fail safe to the BI system going down or not firing?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Edge recording is one of the best features ever developed by the video security industry.

Having it in place insures backup, fail over, and resiliency if planned and wired correctly. Someone comes in and steals the NVR / BI PC.

Not the end of the world as the onboard memory is in place to offer you that insight. How about if the NVR / BI PC had a drive / network failure?

No problem hardware that supports ANR will backfill the missing time line or worst case allow you to export the same!

Trouble Shooting: Things are missing or strange behaviour is present? Whelps, not a problem because you can compare what’s captured on the individual camera to see if that problem is seen or not.

Could be a switch that’s dropping packets but has enough power to sustain the camera but none of the data is streaming into the local NVR / BI PC!

Regardless of all the pros of doing this. Don’t cheap out and buy improper storage media. The best are called industrial, the next best (marketing name) is High Endurance.

Anything that is advertised for dash cameras / video surveillance is a sure bet. You’ll need to balance capacity, value, and warranty.

Anything that indicates a lifetime warranty like the industrial Micro SD cards is using the latest memory that incorporates wear levelling, power management, ECC, write / read protection, and health stats.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks. I know for slr and other rpi duties the evo cards are durable. not industrial, but lots and lots of write durability. I have a cheapo maybe 8GB in a doorbell camera, whats a good capacity target? I like to suspect that since I am not looking for 24/7 recording and instead just triggers, is 16Gb or 32GB adequate?

To your point, my BI machine updated once and needed user interaction to complete the windows patching. Amazon hit my mailbox. Would have had no footage, luckily my wife saw it and was able to handle it. if not, probably would have been SOL. Just need to ensure to trigger for the mailbox... it is in the distance but close enough to identify a amazon truck plowing into it...

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks. I know for slr and other rpi duties the evo cards are durable. not industrial, but lots and lots of write durability. I have a cheapo maybe 8GB in a doorbell camera, whats a good capacity target? I like to suspect that since I am not looking for 24/7 recording and instead just triggers, is 16Gb or 32GB adequate?

To your point, my BI machine updated once and needed user interaction to complete the windows patching. Amazon hit my mailbox. Would have had no footage, luckily my wife saw it and was able to handle it. if not, probably would have been SOL. Just need to ensure to trigger for the mailbox... it is in the distance but close enough to identify a amazon truck plowing into it...
All of this comes down to how you place the importance of having a backup. If having a backup and redundancy is important than you'll invest the proper amount of finances to attain that goal. I always consider and balance risk vs reward as a home owner and in business.

If something is mission critical to me on a personal level I just spend whatever is needed. If something is a real pain to access or is going to cost me more simply by having to rent / buy a boom truck. It's a safe bet, that camera is going to have the best and largest capacity Micro SD card inside. :thumb:

If the camera supports X just buy the largest capacity it will take. This allows you to use 24.7.365 recording and obviously extends the amount of time you can record for continuous vs motion. Buying a 16-32 GB for rarely used areas helps balance costs vs actual need.

Any high traffic areas, hard to reach, and mission critical should always use the best and largest capacity.

Buy Once - Cry Once . . . :rofl:

Almost all of the modern video cameras support no less than 128GB and the newer models 256GB. The price of 128GB has dropped quite a lot over the last five years while the 256GB is still pretty expansive. You'll need to balance the cost value ratio and the WAF!

Can't have the wife ask you how come there's a $350.XX bill just for memory!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh great, another thing to spend money on. Dammit all! I have 2 SD cards. but I have 22 IP cams. I can't remember which cam i left them in. So I suppose I need 20 More.
So much for going out on the Boat.......

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh great, another thing to spend money on. Dammit all! I have 2 SD cards. but I have 22 IP cams. I can't remember which cam i left them in. So I suppose I need 20 More.
So much for going out on the Boat.......
It's pretty safe to say being involved in this hobby on any level is expansive. It doesn't even matter if someone got all of the hardware free! Just the added cost of electricity to support a basic IP video system results in higher energy bills.

Now, adding on edge recording no matter the brand, type, and price???

It surely adds up and it doesn't help if you didn't know there are huge differences in longevity. This time 12 years if someone said Hey Teken, lets buy some memory and have some edge recording. My reply would be you're wasting your time and money doing so.

As the makers of the same were offering pure shit never mind who the maker was! :angry:

The technology wasn't there yet never mind prices. Fast forward to 2022 the technology has easily improved three fold and the prices for the same have dropped like a hot rock.

Regardless of all the above everyone will need to find what is acceptable in terms of cost. Because even if its $10.XX times your 20 that's $200.XX before tax! :banghead:

Reaction score
dang... wish I could find a posting I did back in..2020 or 2021 when I was researched what makes a good outdoor IP camera SD card to put into 'some' of my cameras. I ended up going for Western Digital Purple SD cards as their cards looked to be made for outdoor IP cameras. There was a difference in the #'s and what all the nomenclature means printed on the cards themselves. But I forget now :(

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
dang... wish I could find a posting I did back in..2020 or 2021 when I was researched what makes a good outdoor IP camera SD card to put into 'some' of my cameras. I ended up going for Western Digital Purple SD cards as their cards looked to be made for outdoor IP cameras. There was a difference in the #'s and what all the nomenclature means printed on the cards themselves. But I forget now :(
The sad reality is even the best Micro SD card is a pail comparisons to a so called SSD / NVMe. One only has to think for just a moment how it is a Micro SD card is so very thin but is able to support 8GB ~ 1TB???

If all of the SSD / NVMe or similar (capacity) all require some kind of heat sink, controller, and all the supporting electronics that comes with the same.

How is it a Micro SD card doesn't incorporate them?!? :thumbdown:

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Guess it is time to pick up some sd cards at the next sale