Seeking advice on camera placement

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

After a recent break-in at our neighbors, I'm looking to upgrade our old and forgotten 4 cam 600TVL eBay special system with some more modern and expandable. I've narrowed my camera search down to most likely the Hikvision or Dahua 2MP/3MP bullet style cams, but for now I'm seeking a bit of advice on the camera placement around my house.

Here's the current layout for my house.

cam_old.jpg

It's a 2 story house about 4200 sq. ft. Stucco on wood, I have a Cat5 drop in every rooms and access to easily pull more runs via the attic space if need be.

The red lines are door: front door, back patio door and side garage entrance. The lines in orange are the current camera placement and their direction. The pink box is an old Zmodo DVR. These are traditional analog cameras, 600TVL and worthless. There is power and Cat5 inside of the garage that runs to the rest of the house. The DVR has been broken for a while and everything needs to be scrapped.

Here's my current thoughts on where I should position the new cams.

cam_new.jpg

The lines in blue are where I can easily change existing install to use the new runs. The yellow lines are ones I would need to do on the upper top of the house since I would have to make new cat5 runs into the attic.

1. Change front door cam to point outward, also be able to watch the busy intersection and park across the street.
  2. Remove one of the driveway cams since a single higher quality cam should work better
  3. Move right side cam slightly back to monitor fence as well as side door

The yellow ones I would need to install at a later date to monitor the side yard and back patio door, but this should cover most of my bases. I was also considering installing another cam inside the garage since it would be no labor at all.
Blue cams will feed to the green POE switch in the garage, then to the home network. The green box on the left is my home server which is where the yellow cams would tie in to as well.

For the back end I have a Haswell HTPC Server in the closet that should handle double duty just fine. Currently has about 24tb of storage and easily expandable, I would probably just have continuous looping on if that's possible. The box is pretty inconspicuous and not near our main electronics stuff so I think the chances of it being stolen in a robbery are low.

Thoughts?

Also if you guys have any recommendations on cameras I'm all ears. I've been reading around the forums for a while and since these will also be wall mounted I've decided to go with the popular 2MP/3MP Hikvision or Dauhua bullet cams but if you have any other recommendations I'm open. Our front is lit fairly well by a street lamp at night and we have lights on the perimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
Hikvision turrets are my favorite. Haswell i7 will be more than enough.

I would put a hik 2.8mm over the front, back and side entry as low as possible, and 1-2 4mm over the garage and maybe another 2.8mm on the side.

I just picked up the hik 3345 4mp for over my front porch door for $69 via aliexpress HERE:

The image is great, even during high contrast morning times.

PorchAlert.jpg