self driving car

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
@TonyR, That is one way jamming or false control of a receiving station. Like jam torpedoes.
Heady Lamarr a hot actress back in early '40's. famously designed a system to stop the jamming
of the US Navy's torpedoes. That is spread spectrum. Now add frequency hopping to the mix.
So yes and they attack the software in the car too via cell phone link and some other ways.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know but there's no way I'm trusting my life to a self driving car. Apart from I like to drive, what happens if the computer goes wrong? The car takes you at motorway speeds on a side road, or straight through a junction, or off a cliff, or into other traffic? The possibilities are endless. Unfortunately your life is not.

Self driving cars are for the tchno geeks who need to prove something, those who live to work 24/7 and have no life so they need to work during their journeys as well (sad gits), and those who can't be bothered to drive because it's too much effort after 20 McDonalds.

I predict the Darwin effect may start to take effect shortly and the gene pool will rebalance itself....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately the dumbfucks Genome reproduce at a higher rate than the smarter people Genome(s). So it's hard to say which way it's gonna balance.
And then the dumbfucks go randomly shoot up a school or shopping center, possibly taking some good genes with them.
I emptied my girlfriends car out yesterday at a Tow Yard.
I was in disbelief that her car was already buried in the lot from all the other incoming casualties of the day.
I had a hard time finding it. It was in the back row. They had brought in a good 10 other cars from 10:30 Am until i arrived at 1:30 PM

She totalled our 2010 Nissan Murano. Had she had the Forward collision warning/ emergency braking technology ( now Standard on most cars), she likely
would have had a lesser imptact. she hit a left turner at 45 going thru an intersection. Hopefully something less horrific, as she caused the other car to roll over on its roof.
both cars are totalled. Had the energy of the collision been lessened, we mighta had 2 salvageable cars instead.
My car has it. And it's beeped at me a few times in 2.5 years. It has applied the brakes momentarily once, I like that its there.

She fucked up. She drives in a busy Metro everyday. And does pretty well. Not sure why it happened yet. Cop says intersection video review shows my Gf ran a red. Waiting on intersection video to be reviewed by Insurance rep.
Some of the technology that has evolved in trying to make cars autonomous, have helped reduce the severity of the accidents or stopped them from happening at all.

In 2014-15 we began getting MCI motor coaches at my old job with shoulder harness seatbelts in each seat. And optional lane departure warning, and forward collision warning/ emergency braking options.
Keeping a 103" inch bus in a 120" lane ain't easy sometimes.
And as much as I pride myself on being a good attentive commercial vehicle operator, that Dad Gummed Lane departure vibration in the seat, and the rumble shaker in the steering wheel, reminds you your not as perfect as you thought you were.
I'm not crazy for self driving cars.
But some dumbfucks oughta be required to use them, because they shouldn't have gotten a license to begin with. They can't decide which is more important, Eye lash mascara and Selfies, or watching the road.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's Tuesday morning casualties from one yard in the 17th largest metro in the US. Imagine how many other tow yards there are. Now multiply that by 17 other Big cities. Thats a lot of damaged property and potentially damaged lives.
No wonder the Ambulance chasing lawyer commercials are so popular. there are so many claims!lc.jpglc2.jpgMurano.jpglc5.pnglc4.jpglc1.jpg

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what happens when technology is prematurely adopted. Even battery technology yet to be perfectly safe. Its going to take several more years before we see electric vehicles dominating the streets

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....Its going to take several more years before we see electric vehicles dominating the streets
If and when it does, I'm so glad I won't be here......I'd miss too much the distinctive rumble of a big American V-8, the clatter of solid lifters, the lope from a high lift, long duration cam and the big "woosh" sound as a 780 double-pumper Holley pulls in cubic yards of air when the throttle is goosed. :cool:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, I love my car with lane guidance, auto braking and adaptive cruise for long trips,
but there is something to say for the old mussel cars.
Hearing and feeling the rumble when you smash your foot down, smelling the extra rich
exhaust when you first start it, all while keeping it going straight down the lane. I have to
crawl into my old Shelby and go burn a little rubber, navigate a sharp corner, all with no
anti lock brakes, traction control. It takes me back to my youth when I raced cars like this.
That is nothing to say about pulling into a gas station and taking 20 minutes to get back on
the road after all of the look seers get done asking questions. It all makes it worth while.
A relaxing cruise through the mountains will take away all of your stress and make you a
new man. 65 Shelby Daytona coupe

Drivers Front corner.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya, fellow Ford man.

"Strange Brew", a '69 Boss 302 (AUTHENTIC) no longer exists except in my head....after about a year after I got back from Vietnam she was stolen, stripped, engine pulled and burned to a crisp in the north Georgia hills.
Somewhere I've got pics of my '54 Ford 2 dr. Victoria, '64 Fairlane Sport Coupe, '65 Comet Caliente and my '69 428 CobraJet Torino......now THAT was beast!

boss302_1_med.jpg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I miss my old cars. 66 Fairlane 427 GTA, 66 mustang HiPo 289, 64 falcon 289, 66 GTO 396, 76 F150 centennial.
Then gas prices went sky hi, so sold the 427 in the Fairlane and dropped a 289, bad choice.
Ended up with a Honda Civic, and have had 14 Honda since.

It's sad, the old cars that were smashed, gutted and rusted away. It's our automotive history.2021_12_02_07_35_15_Photos-1.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then gas prices went sky hi, so sold the 427 in the Fairlane and dropped a 289, bad choice.
Ah, such is life. Pretty much did the same thing when gas prices soared and was scarce when I was in California in the late 70's.

Sold a like new '75 F-250 Camper Special with 390 4 barrel with 10K miles I owned since new.....sold it because it got 12 MPG, empty or carrying a 9 foot slide-in fully self contained cabover camper...loaded or not, still got 12, uphill/downhill...still got 12 MPG. But here's the dumb part: if it only had 10K miles in 3 years why would I care about the poor gas mileage?

I dunno...I guess we've all made "stupid vehicle mistakes" that seemed righteous at the time....I know I have.

Ah, hindsight is a bitch. :idk:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Hind site, I would have built a barn, and sealed all of my old cars off in it so I could come back, rebuild, and drive or sell.

Now the other side of things, I was so broke I could not pay attention.
burned off too many tires I guess.