serial interface

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dear techies,

I have a DS7716NI I4, and it freezes sometimes, not often but lets say once in 2 months. It is on a remote location and I want to implement a way to restart it when there is no IP connectivity.

I see there are two serial ports on it.
- RS232
- RS485

my question is, Is it possible to use one of these ports to log into the unit and restart it?
How to use the serial ports?
Many thanks, if that works it would help a lot

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually those ports are for joystick/keyboards, I don't think they have terminal access, I could be wrong tho. But if it locks up there is a good chance serial won't work either. You need to turn the power off at the plug, maybe something like this?

https://www.isocket.com.au/power-failure/

Or this, but it's wifi only.

http://resetplug.com/

Edit: I was wrong: 1 RS-232 interface (for parameters configuration, maintenance,transparent channel)

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, do you use the resetplug? is it a reliable smartplug?

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't no. I have a wireless plug connected to my home automation system and a watchdog to cycle things if needed. Sort of a home brew system.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
excellent idea mate, i will buy such from amazon. But I still want to use the serial comms too, as i have a 6 year old dell laptop with serial port next to the NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
put it all on a digital timer set to shut for 1min a week or day, simple and effective.. cant tell you how many modems ive had to do this too at remote sites, usually set it to daily so the worst case is the network is offline for half a day before it all gets reset.