Set up before hand

Ghebert86

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance in networking... I am in the process of building a house and I have obtained 8mp starlight’s(from Andy, of course) and a Dell Optiplex i7... can I configure everything ahead of time before we move in even if I’m not using the same router and internet service provider? Or will I have to redo the configuration when we move?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance in networking... I am in the process of building a house and I have obtained 8mp starlight’s(from Andy, of course) and a Dell Optiplex i7... can I configure everything ahead of time before we move in even if I’m not using the same router and internet service provider? Or will I have to redo the configuration when we move?
I suggest you go ahead and configure and test now, that way you can be sure the cameras are OK and all works together so you won't be trying to tell Andy about a camera issue months from now. Also, you can get more familiar with Blue Iris, etc. and have a more positive experience when you move it all to the new place.

Typically, the only difference between ISP's would possibly be the modem's LAN IP and it may be on a different subnet than what you set up now in your BI server and IP cams but it would likely not be an extensive number of changes to make, probably just the IP of your BI server and the IP addresses of the cams, no big deal.

EDIT: Of course, the IP assigned to the modem by your ISP (WAN) will be different as well, but again, that is also easily accommodated in BI's configuration settings.

Go for it!

Last edited: