Setting my NVR to act like a local network

joewho

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m trying to set up a nvr /poe camera system in my RV. I’ve bench-connected it all and it works fine as a stand alone (local view only with no internet connection) and am wondering if there is a way to connect this nvr directly into a wireless router and have it operate as a local area network, without connection to internet, so that I can log on with my android device to view exterior cameras when camping off grid

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, just hardwire it to a wireless router.

The wifi router will still work without internet. It will connect and say no internet, but all the devices connected to it can still talk to each other if you let them.

joewho

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... Yes, I've connected my cameras to the nvr and it all works fine as stand alone but when I connect the nvr to a wireless router, I can't connect my android device to view nvr as it keeps saying there is no internet connectivity even though my android sees and connects to the router's network no problem

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try going to a web browser and typing in the IP address of the NVR. You may need to add a : and port# for whatever port # it uses.

Like 1921.168.1.108:81

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did something similar in 2013 turning an old iPhone camera into a backup camera on my F-250. I used a TP-LINK portable USB-powered wireless travel router and viewed the camera on my iPad. What's below sounds complicated but it should work like the above.
____

NVR:

Give the NVR a static IP, for example,192.168.1.100, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Initially you may have to use the NVR's monitor and mouse to modify the NVR's network settings. If you know the NVR's IP you can log into its webGUI from a PC on the same subnet and modify its network settings that way.

ROUTER:
In the router, convert it to a wireless access point (WAP) by logging into the router's webGUI, turn off (disable) DHCP, give it a static IP in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN , say 192.168.1.101, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.. Connect the NVR's LAN port with an Ethernet cable to one of the router's LAN ports.

ANDROID DEVICE:
Under the Android device's network settings, assign it a static IP like 192.168.1.102, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
On your Android device look for the SSID of the WAP's wireless broadcast and log onto it with it's wireless password.
Open a browser on the Android device and go to the NVR's LAN IP and access the NVR's webGUI, log in with username and password as before. You should be able to view all the cameras.

Last edited:

joewho

n3wb
Reaction score
I did something similar in 2013 turning an old iPhone camera into a backup camera on my F-250. I used a TP-LINK portable USB-powered wireless travel router and viewed the camera on my iPad. What's below sounds complicated but it should work like the above.
____
Many thanks Tony, I'll follow your steps and see if I can get it to work

Eman25th

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... Yes, I've connected my cameras to the nvr and it all works fine as stand alone but when I connect the nvr to a wireless router, I can't connect my android device to view nvr as it keeps saying there is no internet connectivity even though my android sees and connects to the router's network no problem
Issue I've ran into in the past is that my phone will see that the wireless network has no internet connection and will hit the mobile network with any connection requests rather than the local wireless. my work around was to turn off mobile network on the phone when needing local access.