Setting up a camera as motion alarm for foxes

C2h5oh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I own a ds-2cd2135f-is that at the moment i mounted up under the roof looking at a bait pile where foxes come and eat. Bait pile is situated about 35 meters away. Camera does not pick up motion or picks up motion a bit too well and im now looking at optional cheap cameras. I think a 6,8 or 12mm lens would be better for this but what are my option in night time surveillance? I could invest in an IR-blaster but prefer to have just the camera. When snow arrives camera will have a good image with 1/3 exposure.

Been fiddling with intrusion detection and line crossing but cant really determine whats best?

Any recommendations?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If the pile is too far away for reliable motion detection and you've screened out everything BUT the bait pile from being detected, then your cam is too far away to be getting a good picture anyway. Longer lens on that camera (not recommended because it's a dome), or longer WIRE (mount it closer), different cam with longer lens, or run a wire closer to the pile and mount a PIR there. The -IS model should have an external alarm input. I doubt I'd want a bait pile moved closer to what I assume is your house. Not sure what you're running for recording (NVR, Blue Iris, or ??), but if you're not running a Hik NVR then a Dahua 4431M-I2 with 12mm lens and external IR illuminator will provide a MUCH better close up picture than your 2135. Leave that one for an overview cam or move it where its wide lens will be more useful than looking at something way beyond its useful range.