Setting Up A VPN and Access to a NVR behind a Google Mesh Network?

alexj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
So I recently purchased a Azus router RT-AX86U. My goal is to be able to remote view my NVR while away from my network by a VPN. I'm trying to use my Google Mesh network with the Azus router but I'm not sure if that is possible. The issue is my NVR (Q-See rebranded Dahua) is located in a remote location hidden and I can't directly plug it in the Azus router. Currently I have 7 different Google mesh units working around the house and the NVR is plugged into one of them. Also there are a few wireless cameras connected to the google mesh by wifi as well. So I have not set up the VPN yet because I need to be able sign on to the Azus wifi and use my phone app and see my cameras before I can reach them through the VPN connection. When I sign into the google mesh network the cameras pop right up in my app. (not doing the p2p anymore this is just local viewing by the NVR IP address).

I've tried port forwarding the NVR off the google mesh network. I used ports 37777, 37778 and tried port 80 and was not able to get the Azus router to see the NVR. I'm not sure if I just need to ditch the google mesh network and just go with all azus routers and airmesh network or what to do.. Seems like there is some work around but I haven't found it. I thought about putting the azus router on one of the access points and then plugging the NVR into it but I think I may run into issues when I set up the VPN connection. If anyone has any thoughts or links that may help I would be greatly appreciated. Currently the connection is Fiber comes into a ATT modem (Passthrough has been set up) and then to the Azus router and then to the google mesh primary wifi point.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your system is working with the ATT modem -> Asus -> Google, and works for everything else, then you need to open the google up for port forwarding and tell it where to go. I'm assuming the DVR is connected to the Google side. I think it should work, but with three different (modem, router, Google) companies, you may be pushing it.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Post a diagram of the network. If you have your modem --> Asus Router --> Google Wifi - assuming Google Wi-fi is not in bridge mode, you may have a double NAT situation going on. A picture of your network is worth a thousand words :)

alexj

n3wb
Reaction score