Setting up BI for Cam Viewing Over LAN Network

AVTechMan

n3wb
Reaction score
After reading the pros/cons on installing BI on a VM, i've decided to build it dedicated box for the system, since I have a 2U server case that will be perfect to run BI in.

Here are the specs for this system:

Skylake i7 6700K CPU
Gigabyte GA-H110M-A LGA 1151 mATX
8GB DDR4 RAM
256GB Crucial SSD (from a former build)

I know some will say that its a waste having the 6700K CPU with a non-overclockable board, but I am not overclocking so its a moot point as stock speed is good enough.

What I want to do is after the system is built I plan to put the 2U chassis in the server rack. Is it possible to view the video streams on a monitor away from the rack since this system will be running headless? Say for example the server will be downstairs and I will be upstairs in my studio working and would like to view the video streams from the studio, while giving the opportunity to remote in to the system should I need to make any changes to the software. This will be on a home wired LAN network.

I thought of maybe installing BI on my Server 2012 R2 Essentials machine (no VM) which has 16GB RAM on a Xeon E3 1230-V2 but since I have the skylake hardware may as well put it to use. I plan to use Windows 8.1 Pro for the OS (not touching Win10 at this time).

As of now I don't have any cameras to test yet, as I need to get perhaps one or two to test, along with needing a POE switch to connect them to. But I would like to get the PC side of the hardware ready so all I would have to do is connect and run once I get the cameras and switch. I also have an extra PCIe Intel dual NIC at my disposal too.

Any help would be great!

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Think it depends on the distance from the basement server to the office. I have my Blue Iris computer in the basement and a monitor upstairs. I have a heavy duty hdmi cable and long (20ft.) usb cable running in the wall up to my office. Hdmi to the monitor on the wall, and receiver from a wireless mouse to the usb cable to control the computer. Works great. But I don't think you can go further than about 20 ft. on a usb cable.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12667-Viewing-BI-on-my-TV?highlight=Blue+Iris+Web+Server

Specifically posts 13, 14 and 15. There are also some people who have used Raspberry Pi on an old computer monitor that's mounted in a certain place in their home.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9604-RasPipC-Cameras-on-your-TV-made-Easy?highlight=Raspberry

I usually remote in via my iPhone with the RD Client App since I have Windows 10 Pro. As long as I'm on my home network, its easier if I'm sitting in the living room watching a movie and check the camera and see something I wanna adjust. Even if I'm not home, I just remote in after I connect via my VPN.

AVTechMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Last night I did a small test as I had the BI machine downstairs and was upstairs in the studio. I was able to remote in via RDC upstairs and was able to see the screen just fine, just had to make some minor window adjustments. I have four monitors setup on a monitor stand, so I had the screen on one of them. I don't have any cameras yet so I have yet to see how everything works together on resources. If this works out I will mount the BI machine in the server rack and secure it so more experimenting is needed.

AVTechMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not appreciate win8.1 at all. It. Sucked. Windows 10 -- with www.classicshell.net installed -- is a damn fine OS IMO. @bp2008 has coded a great BI viewer web application that we run on our office LAN and many share the opinion that the BI mobile devide application is superb, including me.
The biggest turnoff to Win10 for me is the spy-based data collection that it has, which many people have had issues with in the past year which is why I never tried it. I don't want a spying OS on any of my machines if I can't disable it. However, I may consider giving it a test run since my BI machine isn't in service right now and see how well it runs since I need to replace the stock fans in the case and get a HDD for video storage. Classic Shell is pretty good to where I can keep the Win7 look. Up till now I have stuck with Win7 on all my machines, including my workstations.

I read on the thread bp2008 did regarding the web application and looks pretty neat. I'll have to give that a go and see how it looks compared to the RDC and how well it does on bandwidth resources.

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My latest install is headless. bp2008's replacement web UI is great. If I need to do anything serious, I just TeamViewer in. That is also my remote access solution.