Setting up BI Remote Access w/ iPhone - intermittent connections

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble setting up BI and BI iPhone App. I went through the wizard on BI and everything seemed to work fine (using port 8081). I enter all of my info on my iPhone app (the 5+5 digits) Get IPs and it will work, but then randomly stop working.

I should not have to set up any port forwarding correct? BI does that when it's running as a service? I have Verizon Fios.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble setting up BI and BI iPhone App. I went through the wizard on BI and everything seemed to work fine (using port 8081). I enter all of my info on my iPhone app (the 5+5 digits) Get IPs and it will work, but then randomly stop working.

I should not have to set up any port forwarding correct? BI does that when it's running as a service? I have Verizon Fios.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Port forwarding is for accessing blue iris remotely over the internet. Are you accessing from home or remotely?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? If it works at all then it doesn't sound like a port problem.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, trying it remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, trying it remotely.

Running blue iris as a service just means that it runs in the background at all times even when the interface is not open. You have to forward the port on the router manually or UPnP can be used. I am not very familiar with UPnP as I do not use it but I believe it is a type of automatic port forwarding. I would manually forward the port in your router if this has not been done yet. I would also turn off UPnP if it was me but someone more knowledgeable may want to weigh in on that one.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running blue iris as a service just means that it runs in the background at all times even when the interface is not open. You have to forward the port on the router manually or UPnP can be used. I am not very familiar with UPnP as I do not use it but I believe it is a type of automatic port forwarding. I would manually forward the port in your router if this has not been done yet. I would also turn off UPnP if it was me but someone more knowledgeable may want to weigh in on that one.
Thanks! Just manually forwarded it and it worked. Odd cuz i thought that if UPnP was enabled blue iris automatically sets that up. Any event I’m up and running. Thanks.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks! Just manually forwarded it and it worked. Odd cuz i thought that if UPnP was enabled blue iris automatically sets that up. Any event I’m up and running. Thanks.

Awesome, glad it worked! I think you are right that it should have been working with UPnP automagically. I would disable UPnP because from what I understand if you get a virus on your local network it can then open ports automatically. VPN is preferred but at least with only the blue iris port manually forwarded you would be a little more secure. I run openVPN on my network to RDP into my servers and what not but I still forwarded one port for blue iris as it is too incontinent to connect to VPN everytime I want to check my cameras.