Setting up cameras

Vfoosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie delving into the world of security cameras. I am looking to install a few around my house mainly for detection. I had a look at a few threads and it seems like the IPC-T5442T-ZE is a good camera to start off with. I plan on using it to figure out what focal lengths I need for the different areas of my house. I don't plan to run cables until I get all my cameras. I'm not sure if I will use a NVR or Blue Iris yet but I do like the simplicity of NVR.

What's the best way to power the camera and view the image to test out various locations? Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I did this same job a month ago. I mounted the camera on a stick, powered it with a 12 volt drill battery, and logged into the web interface with a laptop. I carried the camera and battery, and my wife carried the laptop. I'd point the camera and when it was pointed where I wanted she clicked for a snapshot. Gathered about 50 sample images in a bit over an hour at 2 different focal lengths, ~2.8mm and 6mm. I mounted the varifocal side-by-side with a 6mm camera to set that focal length, snapped those images, then zoomed it all the way out to be close to 2.8mm. In past trials I've mounted a camera on a stick planted in a 5 gallon bucket, and on a small board that can be temporarily secured at various locations with a furniture clamp. In those cases I used a couple of long patch cables to reach up to 200' to an active network wire.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
To connect the camera to a laptop. just run a patch cable between them and configure the laptop to a static IP address in the same subnet the camera is configured to, making a 2 device network. The stick I used was from a brush and has a handy telescoping handle. A little 12 volt gel battery would have been my first choice to power the camera, but the drill batt was what I had readily available. The biggest caution I have is to not lose the blasted little set screw in the camera base when trying to point the camera. I dropped it on a sidewalk and it took 20 minutes to find. If you drop it in the grass you're finished. (Sorry about the sideways picture. The forum software rotated it.)
CameraOnStick_1.JPGCameraOnStick_2.JPGCameraOnStick_3.JPGCameraOnStick_4.JPG