Setting Vertical limits on a HikVision DS-2DE4225IW-DE

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As above - im new here, but looking for some initial help. Ive just fitted the above camera to the rear of my house. Apart from the obvious security reason one of the reasons ive got one is that my house looks over a valley in the middle of town....over the other side of the valley on the ridge is the route i take to work, which, has a horrible set of traffic lights that if you catch at the wrong time can add an extra 30 mins to your journey.....very handy if i can use the camera to take a quick look. This could take some explaining.....the camera doesnt seem to want to look "up" as it were....if i use the controls to zoom in to the other side of the valley and move the camera as "up" as possible it looks kind of horizontal but down just a little bit....if i get up the ladder and literally push the camera "up" so its looking upwards all the controls still work and you can move it around the "upward" area. If i reboot the camera it goes back to how it was.....ie i cant look "up" very strange...has anyone else had this...?

Thanks to anyone that chips in....

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe it's limits have been screwed up by forcing it. I'd try a full factory reset myself and see if that resets it.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe it's limits have been screwed up by forcing it. I'd try a full factory reset myself and see if that resets it.
Ive not forced it as such....just gently moved it up beyond the horizontal line...once its up above that it works fine....ive already tried resetting it - ive also done a firmware update which was fine...

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What ive done is no more than moving a steering servo on a radio controlled car....no gears have missed, nothing has been forced.....im an IT sys admin with 30 years hardware experience so id be quite happy stripping the thing to pieces and reassembling it....i know mechanically its fine...

Id say almost like its calibrated incorrectly...

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I once had a vertical limit set on one of my PTZ's and I forgot about it. When I zoomed it in, the FOV naturally shrunk and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't move it up more for a few mins until it dawned on me. You say you've factory reset yours so that shouldn't be the problem.

This may be a silly question but you're sure the specs of your cam show the Tilt range that you are expecting to get out of it? What's the make & model?

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No ive not looked at the tilt range on paper...but, it cant even look directly horizontally....its max (as its currently working) is just below horizontal....and as i said...if i move it with my finger just above the horizontal line the onscreen webpage controls will take it up so that in the webview you can see the housing around the the unit, blurred around the edge....its just when its moved back down below the horizontal it just wont go back up...

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Specs say From -15° to 90° (auto-flip) i presume the -15 is the looking up part..!

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL, sorry missed seeing the make.... this is a strange prob for a good quality PTZ - maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion. When I relocated my big Dahua, I accidentally had to grab it by the moveable head and I thoought I moved it past it's limits and it made a unnerving gear grinding sound. I just had to do a factory reset and it went back to it's regular limit positions thankfully. I'm out of ideas currently for you now though.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers...yeah - definately no grinding of gears - ive been very gentle with it....ive just plugged it into my big 48port switch (it was in a little unmanaged 8port jobbie) wasnt sure if the little one was producing enough voltage (for it)

Another thought was the firmware upgrade (while it went on fine) it could have knackered it up...a little...

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just done another reset (while keeping the ip) - logged back in and watched it doing its tests...comes back with an ok but wont move up above horiztonal....still....

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found the problem - or should i say - the setting....config>PTZ> "Maximum Tilt angle" default is set to 0-90deg - set it to -15-90 degrees....its now going up above the horizontal....thanks for the suggestions all the same....got more questions but ill ask tomorrow...