Sharing My Thoughts on My IPC-HFW2831T-ZS Cams After 6 Weeks With Them

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
heyy i know this is old but during this time when you had this camera, what gamma, noise reduction (i assume you mean sharpness) and bitrate did you set this to? For me, my day time is: Gamma 49, Sharpness 53 and Bitrate 9000. Night time is Gamma 48, Sharpness 51 and bitrate 9000.
@MikeyTech8 I still use these, love the 1831 & 2831's :)

A BIG caveat to what I share below is remember what I always say, you have to dial in and configure for your own personal FOV (including distance, height, angle and in the case of a vari, zoom level), lighting situation and target requirements. Therefore what I may use in 1 location for 1 cam only I would not use for another location or even another cam in the same location, have to dial in for each to truly end up with the right config.

To answer your questions, no when I say Noise Reduction I mean that, NR under Settings, Exposure, 3DNR. During the day you can lower that one all the way down to 34 and don't invoke too much noise. For Gamma during the day, I drop this to about 46. Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness leave at the default of 50. Only thing else I bump (in Picture menu) for this cam is Saturation (as its a little flat out of the box) to around 58. Based on 1 cam location I also add WDR in Backlight to 2, just a small amount but goes a long way in this case for this specific install location only. For Bitrate I run 11,264 or 10240, this is 4K so bump it high to appreciate the image a little more, storage is cheap. In some of the later FW's this got capped as I mentioned in my review therefore I do NOT recommend updating the FW higher than 2019-04-04

Last thing to remember is that there were the original versions (like the ones I picked up) and then an S2 version that had a few tweaks.

HTH, let me know with any other questions

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8 I still use these, love the 1831 & 2831's :)

A BIG caveat to what I share below is remember what I always say, you have to dial in and configure for your own personal FOV (including distance, height, angle and in the case of a vari, zoom level), lighting situation and target requirements. Therefore what I may use in 1 location for 1 cam only I would not use for another location or even another cam in the same location, have to dial in for each to truly end up with the right config.

To answer your questions, no when I say Noise Reduction I mean that, NR under Settings, Exposure, 3DNR. During the day you can lower that one all the way down to 34 and don't invoke too much noise. For Gamma during the day, I drop this to about 46. Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness leave at the default of 50. Only thing else I bump (in Picture menu) for this cam is Saturation (as its a little flat out of the box) to around 58. Based on 1 cam location I also add WDR in Backlight to 2, just a small amount but goes a long way in this case for this specific install location only. For Bitrate I run 11,264 or 10240, this is 4K so bump it high to appreciate the image a little more, storage is cheap. In some of the later FW's this got capped as I mentioned in my review therefore I do NOT recommend updating the FW higher than 2019-04-04

Last thing to remember is that there were the original versions (like the ones I picked up) and then an S2 version that had a few tweaks.

HTH, let me know with any other questions
Thanks for the detailed reply man. Much appreciate the support haha. Um, bad news is i'm running firmware 2.800.00000000.7.R build date 2021-07-08 which means the bitrate is capped at 8192. Any chance or ways to downgrade firmware?