Short LPR setup with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a quick opinion on this. I have a rather quick install coming up that is bit of a rush job. I have two cameras on hand for it. I normally use the IPC-7442-Z4's for LPR, however I that might be a bit overkill. I have a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret and IPC-B5442E-ZE on hand. Both have the varifocal zoom that will get me close enough. I'm leaning towards the turret since this camera will be ground level.

See attached screen shot of the install, there is a 4 ft panel by the gate that we are going to install the camera for LPR on and you can see the distance. It looks like a pretty simple setup, am I overthinking this? I'm familiar with how to setup the dahua for LPR settings wise.

LRP-BP.JPG

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a quick opinion on this. I have a rather quick install coming up that is bit of a rush job. I have two cameras on hand for it. I normally use the IPC-7442-Z4's for LPR, however I that might be a bit overkill. I have a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret and IPC-B5442E-ZE on hand. Both have the varifocal zoom that will get me close enough. I'm leaning towards the turret since this camera will be ground level.

See attached screen shot of the install, there is a 4 ft panel by the gate that we are going to install the camera for LPR on and you can see the distance. It looks like a pretty simple setup, am I overthinking this? I'm familiar with how to setup the dahua for LPR settings wise.

View attachment 75313
In that setup I think the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret will do things just fine. You will get 250ppm at 14m from the camera at full zoom. That's 43 feet in the old money. That's more than enough to human read a plate. The 5442 will only give you 250ppm at 13m, despite having more megapixels. The larger sensor gives it a wider field of view for any given zoom.

IR should be sufficient to run 1/1000 shutter or higher at night for clean captures.

1606006844236.png

My settings for the same sensor doing LPR duties. I have extra IR.

Last edited: