should i install a new poe cam

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Iv'e been thinkink[g about replacing my old 720p ptz . it is only used to see who comes through the gates. its just a really cheap cam but it works. so iv'e been thinking about getting a 2mp cam or higher res. but if i'm replacing this cam would i be able to get one that can read number plates . or is the angle to much for plate reading. i do have another cam that is overlooking the street so i get a good view of people and cars. i do have very good led street lights .the night pic is with no ir turned on. what do you guys think and what cam would be ok,,pic 2.PNGpic 3.PNGpic 1.PNGpic 4.PNG

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could read license plates i think if you cut the trees under that sign, and clear the ones from around that camera. License plate cameras only need ir light for plate capture at night, as the scene will be totally black. The current cam list is here thanks to @SouthernYankee
thankyou.. even with the privet hedges cut down they is still small wooden fencing so i,m restricted to where iv'e put the red boxes on the pics. so not the best angles,

Reaction score
thankyou.. even with the privet hedges cut down they is still small wooden fencing so i,m restricted to where iv'e put the red boxes on the pics. so not the best angles,
Not the best but the distance isn't that far so there still could be a chance to read a plate. i would park my car in the place you have the red square, i am sure a varifocal camera can zoom in to that spot and see a plate. I would just try and see if it will work.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not the best but the distance isn't that far so there still could be a chance to read a plate. i would park my car in the place you have the red square, i am sure a varifocal camera can zoom in to that spot and see a plate. I would just try and see if it will work.
thats what i was thinking or a mini ptz this cam is zoomed at max 4 times so would need a bit more zoom .

Reaction score
These are shots from a Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E (also known as IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E) at 55-60 feet. Now it does have a better angle than you, but you at least can see the quality of the captures. This is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and has an 8-32mm varifocal lens. The first shot is at 27mm and the second one is at full zoom 32mm.

INTS.20200719_194052946_1.jpgINTS.20200719_200626024_1.jpg

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These are shots from a Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E (also known as IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E) at 55-60 feet. Now it does have a better angle than you, but you at least can see the quality of the captures. This is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and has an 8-32mm varifocal lens. The first shot is at 27mm and the second one is at full zoom 32mm.

View attachment 67174View attachment 67175
Thats a great camera .its the night time pics where i dont think i would get a decent enough pic the angle is really tight and the glare from the car lights and speed the cars go by not helpful.,

Reaction score
You have to get creative, run a wire in underground pvc piping out to the tree at the gate and point it toward that square you have drawn and you will be certain to capture license plates, as long as no one parks in that space and blocks it.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 67174View attachment 67175
Hello samplenhold
My new B5422E-Z4E is not found correctly in Blue Iris. What about yours? I created a post in Blue Iris/troubleshooting but so far no feedback.

Another comment is that when using a browser, the camera automatically switches to the substream after a short time I think due to CPU load except when using Internet Explorer which happens to be the only browser that still needs an active x plugin. This is when using my i7-7500 CPU @2.7GHz/2.9GHz with 16GB RAM with nothing else running except Task Manager. How’s yours?

Last edited:

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply samplenhold! I have the same firmware version as you. With Edge, my CPU load is 70-75% with 15fps, i frame 30 and max bitrate (6144kbps). I am not an IT expert but for Blue Iris, it now looks like my ONVIF is not working. However, the camera says ‘on’ in Network/Access Platform/ONVIF authentication. Am I missing setting something?